Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 intermittent engine problem

awg1962

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina wagon V6
Hi, this is my 1st post.

My wife drives a '04 Lumina wagon with the Alloytec V6, we got it end of '07

For at least the last 2yrs, it has had an intermittent fault, that felt like a misfire.

This problem recently worsened, in that it was present quite a lot, (nearly half the time) and the power was down substantially (estimate 50%).

She then reported the gearbox was not changing as it should, so I have now swapped cars.

It is running faultlessly last 2 days.

I checked with my OBD scanner and there is no fault codes showing. Trans oil ok

car has been serviced by a pro mechanic and has 235k.

He recommended get rid of it, as it needed more work, otherwise change out plugs & coils.

A friend said it may be a faulty coil pack or wiring, and it may be going into "limp mode"

He thought (and so did I) that would generate a fault code

From past experience I would prefer to get an indication of fault prior to any dismantly, as I am busy enough

If it plays up worse, I will change out the plugs which are due anyway and coils

Any suggestions welcome, as it does not have the feel of one only failed coil, or worn out plugs

I trained as an electro-mechanical technician years ago, so can fix a lot of things, just havent done much work on this car.
am prepared to track the fault down, dont want to get rid of it

btw, OBD scanner is a handy tool, have used it a few times to diagnose my Jackaroo, mine is a $80 handheld unit, but I believe nowadays a cable & freeware to your laptop will work even better