Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Maloo Abs light on start up and Traction control won't turn on

Joshiewa84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
Hi there,
My 06 Maloo ABS warning light comes on at start up and doesn't turn off. My traction control is also not turning on, I press the button but nothing happens. When I accelerate aggressively in second gear it feels like the diff is slipping. I have no idea what's causing the problems, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Can you get a scan done for DTCs on the car's computer systems?
It will probably point you in the right direction.

Holden dealer's Tech2 reports seem to be about $150 depending on the dealer. The Tech2 report would be the most accurate as it has access to all of Holden's software modifications and it looks at DTC history and existing fleeting alarms etc.

Some Super Cheap Auto Stores have a reasonably priced scan report available from about $20-$40. Maybe the SCA scan will locate the appropriate DTCs, you would need to give them a ring to find out.

Last edited:

Joshiewa84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
Thanks mate, went and did that this morning. The mechanic scanned it for error codes and said that it was a problem with the ecu which was causing the abs fault but couldn't isolate exactly what the problem was. He took it for a test drive and seems to think the centre bearing in the diff is faulty and that could be causing the issue. I'll leave it with him this week to try and figure it out. Sounds like it's going to be expensive.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Had these issues with my CV8, which doesn't get driven enough, charged the battery......problem gone.
May your problem be as simple.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
How in hell could the centre bearing in the tailshaft cause an ABS issue. Check and clean the wiring plugs at the diff and physically remove and check for clean terminals at each of the front sensor plugs (Located in the hub ).
Have you checked for a blown fuse !!!!!!!!

Joshiewa84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
Had these issues with my CV8, which doesn't get driven enough, charged the battery......problem gone.

Had the battery checked after reading up on here about their issues and it was fine apparently.

How in hell could the centre bearing in the tailshaft cause an ABS issue. Check and clean the wiring plugs at the diff and physically remove and check for clean terminals at each of the front sensor plugs (Located in the hub ).
Have you checked for a blown fuse !!!!!!!!

I'm by know means a mechanic and have no idea how it could, just naive enough to believe one lol. I will get it up on a hoist tomorrow and check it out, sounds like a good place to start looking. No I haven't checked the fuse but I will now! Thanks for your help guys!!!

Joshiewa84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
Just an update of progress:
Abs light was caused by damage to the wiring from the front sensors. Replaced the loom section ($20ish) and the front sensors.
Once this was fixed the abs fault was removed and the traction control activated at the first push of the button.
The centre bearing in the tailshaft needed to be replaced, had that sent away for a complete refurb and balance ($550).

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6

had the same issue , loose battery terminal , problem fixed .

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Good to hear its all sorted mate. If you don't mind me asking who/where did you get your looms from. Central Coast Holden or aftermarket.

Joshiewa84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
Thanks CONROD, feel much more safer driving too! It was genuine from CC Holden if that helps.