Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cylinder 6 misfire -> Dead Instrument Panel

Kiama

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Wagon
I have owned a 2006 VZ Commodore since new which has suddenly caused me a huge headache.
I had best mention that this car is also fitted with factory LPG and except for a very early issue when it was less than 12 months old caused an issue with the petrol gauge and rectified under warranty.
Over the last few months I had a few issues with keyless locks that would sometimes not work but perhaps it's the battery in the key although tried the spare and had the same problem.
Related or not but sometimes the car would start to shudder just after warm up. If I turned the car off and restarted it it would be fine. It would happen more often on gas than fuel but I used gas more than fuel.
Cases were isolated but getting more and more frequent. This being an intermittent issue was difficult to have diagnosed without me having a scan tool that I didn't own plugged in at all times.
Finally it developed while I was on gas and would not come good even with a restart so I switched to petrol and it restated fine. Continued for a few km's and all was good until the problem reoccurred but this time I was unable to get it running on all cylinders again.
I unplugged each coil to find 3 and 6 being a little unresponsive so took it to a mechanic who plugged his tool in and confirmed no. 6 was not running and cleared the fault. It run a lot better but still idled rougher than normal so number 6 coil and plug was replaced without an improvement. We pulled the lead off no. 6 to find it still did not make a lot of difference although it drove really well. He shook his head and said go home and disconnect the battery for a day to clear the computer, so I did.
Now the dilemma gets even bigger. When the battery was reconnected the dashboard is dead. No system check, no display and no gauges. The radio and indicators work and so does the car but it still runs rough.
Tool plugged in again and say's misfire cyl 3 & 6.
Battery has been replaced and all fuses checked OK.
Where do I start. The battery is new.:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

Last edited:

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I suggest the you consult with an accredited Auto Gas Mechanic for a full analysis. LPG is a very stable fuel when stored and handled correctly. Tampering with lines, components etc can result in leaks which could lead to catastrophic explosion(s) etc. If you or a family member belong to an Auto Club (RACV, RACQ, NRMA, RAA etc) then they not only provide a roadside assist service but also a Diagnostic Service for a moderate fee. Their findings are more likely to be factual and honest.

Kiama

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Wagon
Thanks Benboy but none of us belong to any organisation like that.
I don't believe it to be a problem with the gas as nothing changes when I change from gas to petrol and vice versa. I just purchased another car the day before the trouble began so all I want to do is sell it but I don't want to spend more money than it's worth just to do that. As the dash has gone out I sort of feel it's something electrical that's causing the issue but I don't know to start as I don't understand the computerised system that runs everything in the car.