Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz wont start sometimes

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Having a bit of trouble with my vz ute. Sometimes the car will start first turn of the key like normal . Other times you tun the key and the starter will just click .

Turning the key to off then trying again will result in a 50/50 chance of it working . If I pull the key out and lock/unlock the doors it will work 90% of the time .

Really got me stumped , battery is new and ive tryed both the spare and normal key .

Im more leaning towards the bcm dying and the immobilizer not turning off.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
How about the solenoid on the starter motor packing up?

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Replace starter motor. Same thing happened to me recently.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
What is the condition of your battery terminals? sometimes the stock terminals get oxidized and cause a poor connection.

Trayner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Okay cheers for all the ideas peoples

Well had a idea at lunch today and went to the wreckers to get a new Ignition security ring . My thinking is the cars not reading the key properly and the bcm is seeing it as the key is loosing contact and not disabling the immobilizer properly.
and grabbed some battery terminals at autobarn also on the way home .

Installed both and they seem to have fixed the problem . Will start first shot when I turn the key now . So will keep my fingers crossed for the week and see how the outcome is .
But from early signs seems to have fixed the problem.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
That's great news also if it was the immobilizer i don't think the starter would engage at all. Keep an eye on your battery voltage via engineering mode on you dash as well.

Trayner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Yeah ive got the voltage guages ontop of the dash and its been a pretty constant 14.+ volts with the car on and something like 12.4 with just acc on . So seems normal .... for now hahaha

Trayner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Okay looks like its come back , was fine for about 2 days had 0 playups . Then today this morning took 2 turns to get her going .Then leaving work had to unlock/lock the doors and fiddle a few times to get her working .

Got home and bridged 30-87 on the start relay in the fuse box in the engine bay with the key in the on position and she starts.
Swapped with one of the blower relays still was 50/50 chance of working, so dont think its a relay

So that means the starter motor is getting power and is grounded and is "working"

my thoughts are

key/ignition barrel isnt turning properly or bad earth etc , leading to the relay not switching.
Something in the bcm isnt switching/sending power to the relay .

Thoughts?

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Is your immobilizer light turning off or still flashing when you go to start it?. You could always try a BCM reset not sure if that will do much thou.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Okay looks like its come back , was fine for about 2 days had 0 playups . Then today this morning took 2 turns to get her going .Then leaving work had to unlock/lock the doors and fiddle a few times to get her working .

Got home and bridged 30-87 on the start relay in the fuse box in the engine bay with the key in the on position and she starts.
Swapped with one of the blower relays still was 50/50 chance of working, so dont think its a relay

So that means the starter motor is getting power and is grounded and is "working"

my thoughts are

key/ignition barrel isnt turning properly or bad earth etc , leading to the relay not switching.
Something in the bcm isnt switching/sending power to the relay .

Thoughts?

I had the same problem for over 18 months but decided to live with it, however, last week was at Auto Lecs getting scanned for Air Bag fault and starter played up big time, same as yours, so replaced it with a spare starter I had on the shelf and all good since then.

Stripped the old starter and found the armature was burntish, so quick run over with light emery cloth and a general degrease of starter, test, and I now have a spare starter again.

edit...Just noticed the post above about BCM.
The Auto Lec reset the BCM twice with no result.

Last edited: