Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual VZ Clubsport Engine Revs Question

Trentos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ R8 Clubsport
I have recently purchased a 2005 VZ R8 Clubsport and have noticed an odd occurrence when driving. When approaching a stop such a set of traffic lights and I put it into neutral the revs on the car act as if I still have my foot on the throttle slightly? It also feels like the engine isn't braking as the car approaches the stop? What can cause this? I have a feeling it may be electronically related but if anyone here has had any experience with this can they please advise what's could be causing it? It was only serviced by Holden about 1 week ago and they never mentioned any issues occurring during the test drive...

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I would suggest it has been tuned and the tuner could have done a better job.

Trentos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ R8 Clubsport
I would suggest it has been tuned and the tuner could have done a better job.

Hmm that's what I was thinking as well as it has had a mafless tune in the past. Would it be a good idea to get it looked at and re-tuned? I was hoping to possibly get some work done to it such as a new camshaft before getting it tuned again.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
If you are going to put a new cam in it will definitely need to be retuned.
Go to a reputable workshop with a good name

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
just to confirm on the engine braking, you don't mean while you have the clutch engaged or in neutral while engine is revving do you? :p
*I am of the assumption you do mean while gears are engaged*

when you go to the workshop, see what else they might recommend to go with the cam aswell.
a few extra things like the intake. which could also involve having the MAF put back in.

Trentos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ R8 Clubsport
just to confirm on the engine braking, you don't mean while you have the clutch engaged or in neutral while engine is revving do you? :p
*I am of the assumption you do mean while gears are engaged*

when you go to the workshop, see what else they might recommend to go with the cam aswell.
a few extra things like the intake. which could also involve having the MAF put back in.

Nah I put the car into neutral gear - and then with my foot only touching the brake pedal to slow down but the car RPM's are going up and down (not massively - but still act as if I still have my foot on the accelerator). Spoke to a guy at Holden and he believes it is the throttle body or ECU?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Clean the idle air control stepper motor and passages.

The PCM will keep the revs slightly higher until it switches to idle mode which it won't do until it's almost come to a stop.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
vz is electronic throttle will be tune related, if ur going to get more stuff done just mention it when they tweek the tune again