Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel consumption

morgan000

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My fuel consumption is 23L/100kms. I changed both oxygen sensors thinking it was that and the fuel consumption was good at the start and now it has shot back up again. I checked the trip computer for any faults and it came back with all 0.

What should I do next? Could the pump be stuffed? I don't know where to go from here.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Did you use genuine or aftermarket sensors?

Aftermarket have been known to be frequently faulty out of the box.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Mate, it might show 24L/100km but what is the average speed? If it is just stop start heavy traffic, short trips with an average speed of 20/30kph then don't panic. Try taking it for a 100km highway drive and then check it again, I bet it reads a hell of a lot better.

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Don't all models have the real-time fuel usage display as well as avg L/100kms?

morgan000

Reaction score
I used aftermarket sensors.

The average speed is showing about 26 or 27 km/hr. My wife drives it and she probably does about 7 or 8 k's a day if that. Mainly taking kids to school and shopping. I live in the inner west of sydney so it is stop start traffic but still 23L/100 k's is quite a bit. It doesnt say that in the hand book, its supposed to be 14 or something for city driving.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
I assume you're talking about a V8. In my LS1 VZ I get 16-18L/100km at worst, in stop start traffic with average speed of around 30-35km/h and a heavy foot, with intake\exhaust work and maffless tune done. On the freeway as low as 8.4L/100km.

morgan000

Reaction score
I wish I was talking about an LS1. I forgot to mention its a standard 3.6L.

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Every time you re-set the trip , it will start from scratch = Twenty something per liter ..
Dont re-set the trip when you fill up or what ever .

The way it works , is on average .. So the further you drive , the more accurate your mileage figure .. It takes a while for the average to reflect actual fuel usage ..
It took me over 100km to get my average down to 11.7/100 around town , then I reset the trip ( what a mistake - Ive only had the car for about 3 weeks ) . Im currently around 12.5/100 and dropping as I drive more and more .
I would love to hit 10.?/100 around town .. ( Dont re-set the trip )

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
I wish I was talking about an LS1. I forgot to mention its a standard 3.6L.

I used to have a vz v6 and even thrashing it, would never use more than 13-14L/100km, I ran 95 in it but don't think it would make much difference.
I'd say you probably have some troubleshooting to do, I really don't think the economy is normal. It might be worth taking it for a decent drive as 7-8km a day is barely long enough for it to get warm. See how the economy reads after a decent run on a highway somewhere.

The last guy said don't reset the trip, which is ok for long term average, but if you want to know the current you can just get up to speed on the freeway, turn on cruise, then reset it and should give you a pretty accurate reading within a few km of your cruise fuel consumption.
If this is above about 8-10L/100km at 100km/h you probably have some problems.

Might be worth checking the MAF\throttle body as they can get covered in oil on the alloytecs due to where the PCV hose is. If it's oily, cleaning that would help your economy a lot. I've found shitloads of oil every time I looked in there on my old car. Talking more than a few tablespoons.

morgan000

Reaction score
My PCV hose on the front of the engine, the 90 degree one at the throttle body has cracks in it. It's hard to get anywhere, could this be an issue? I've taped it up as a temporary solution until I can source one.