Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ wont start

wiking

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Ive read every thread i can find and so it hasnt helped.

The V6 engine in my vz crewman died ( from sludge) since the previous owner really didnt like changing the oil much.

So I put a crate engine in it. Same model/output etc. Engine came with new sensors/injectors.
I retained all the old sensors etc to avoid compatibility issues ( i noticed the injectors were also different colour/part number) but used the new engine loom.
Original ECU is used also.

Here's the thing. It has started just a few times and ran smoothly ,amongst many attempts.
Now, I just cant get it to start at all, it cranks but wont fire up. So i troubleshoot the engine, it has good compression, plenty of fuel and fuel pressure.
All coil packs have +12.5 volts and receive pulse on the right connector pin. They all produce healthy spark with a plug in them.

There are no fault codes when hooked up to a basic scan tool. The only other weird thing is the SRS air bag warning keeps coming on and
"service vehicle soon" reminder. Oil level is spot on, as is coolant. After a lot of cranking, if i pull a plug out, its wet with petrol.
The injectors are testing +12.5 volts on one pin and the other +3.5V and seem to be working.

There are no immobiliser issues. If it has spark,fuel and compression, why wont it start?
If anything, it seems to be getting too much fuel in the cylinder. Throttle body seems to work fine also.
Ive tried the "wide open" pedal while cranking with no success if it is flooded.

Any suggestions very welcome on other checks or things to look for