Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ no start after removing one coil pack

Keithone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY
Long story cut short.Bought a VZ with known very rough idling.Its on LPG so thought it was an lpg problem
Rang mechanic and he said he could almost guarantee it would be one of the coil packs gone bad.
So I bought a coil pack from wreckers with idea of testing each one separately
As the manifold has to come off I came up with the idea of disconnecting coil packs one at a time to find the faulty one to save time as you did in the old days
HOWEVER......when I tried to start the car on five coils it wouldn't start and only clicked.
I reconnected the plug but it still wont start. It still only clicks. If I turn the headlights on the alarm tries to sound.
I then disconnected the battery for two hours in the hope that it would reset itself
Unfortunately it still just clicks... click click click.....and wont turn over.
When I turn the ignition on but dont try to start it it displays system check ....all good
What have I stuffed up and how do I rectify this??? Someone please help
Its stuck in my driveway and cant move it!!!!!!!:lock:

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Starter solenoid, or flat battery is the most likely cause. If that Hackham is SA, then ring the RAA and they will get it started. By the way, if it is on LPG, then everything has to be tip top to run well. 6 new plugs, 6 new coils and even then you may need to have a proper LPG service. If you get it running smooth on petrol, let the the ECU relearn for a tank or so before trying LPG again. If it has been running like crap on LPG, then the ECU can shut down the impulse to an injector as it thinks that the cylinder is not burning fuel and it does that for emission reasons. Remember the impulses for the LPG injectors piggy back off the fuel injectors!

Keithone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY
Thank you so much for the quick reply. Yes....I am in Hackham South Australia
I tried a new AC Delco battery this morning with the same result....click click
The car was starting before I tried to start with one coil pack UNPLUGED.
I mention this because a friend let out the F word and said I was a fool. quote;" These cars dont like to run with one pack unpluged. You have probibly stuffed up the ECU."unquote
Do you or anyone think this is a possibility?
Could I have fried something ? If so where do I start with the process of elimimation?
Thanks for your help 99. I will use the RAA if all else fails

Keithone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY
It seems to have been the battery.....has to be full charged to start engine. Thanks for your help
Sadly Its misfiring on cylinder one. Copression very low. Time for new valves or a replacement engine. Can anyone head me in the right direction> Ill have a look at the classifieds...My code is 10 HNC.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Don't panic about the low compression yet, and how do you know it is low? Get a new set of coil packs into it, all 6, and plugs and ONLY run it on some premium fuel for a tank or so.

Keithone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY
Good morning 99
I have checked all spark plugs.
I then bought a coil pack and spent the whole morning swopping in and out...manifold up..manifold down....etc
I started with the LPG man in my area.....he listened and sent me to Auto electrician. The auto electrician popped his tech two on and thought it might be the ECU. He did more detailed investigation the next day.Result was the missfire was not due to ecu or coil pack.Next stop was a mechanic and it came back with low compression on cylinder one..30psi. He said maybe valve spring broke or burnt valve. He did a bit of investigating for me .Thought it would be cheaper to replace the engine than to have the valve issue fixed as the Alloytecs where a nightmare compared to eco ones.Said the gaskets alone are 700$. The advice from the mec came from his holden friends in the trade as he was unfamiliar with evalloytecs. So I don't think hes after the work.
Sadly I was nieve and bought the car from a bloke who said he knew nothing but maybe the plugs needed replacing. Maybe I should have paid attention to him rubbing his nose while talking to me...lol
.Is it really a nightmare to fix a broken spring without having to do the gaskets? Im not a mechanic but have succesfully swopped hyundai motors several times and changed a few manual and auto boxes.
Any suggestions are gratefully received...getting desperate now

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
I would first take off the rocker/valve cover on that side (cylinder 1) and check the springs. You have nothing to loose in its current state, vz rocker cover gaskets are less than $100.

You can just asses it first and then decide on parts labour etc.

Keithone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY
Thanks for your input...I did that today. Unfortunately the springs are fine. Now for the next bit . Valve replacement.
I have hunted high and low and probably just not familiar with the forum. I'm looking for a how to on vale replacement for the VZ.Can you point me in the right direction? Or even a "pay to know" site on the internet. I am aware of the difficulty in doing this but I have nothing to loose as you say.
Should I start a new thread with the question......'How to replace valves on a vz?" Don't want the ire of those in the know by starting a thread thats already been done as I'm a newbie!
I have googled this to death with no luck.
All help appreciated

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
I do see its a limited subject it would be in the VZ manual (Gregory`s haynes etc) you could buy a second hand head or recon head and fit, all you would need is torque settings etc. gumtree ebay etc would be a good start for your parts. you can get a vz head gasket complete kit on ebay for $550.00 and since you only need one side could re list it and recoup some coin from that.

gumtree search in SA for VZ wrecking.
vz wrecking in South Australia | Parts & Accessories | Gumtree Australia Free Local Classifieds