Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pedders Quote Excessive (as usual)

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Just got the usual Pedders check done on my Adventra to find out the price to get rid of the clunk from suspension and I am up for $5650 parts and installation:hmmm:.
I know they have not found the real problem - the backlash in transmission is a different matter and sounds/feels different. I have many years of experience as a mechanical engineer in heavy industry, so hopefully know a few things about machinery. Not much still OK under car obviously. Seems to be a familiar story with Pedders and I told them I will just get a trade in pricing done to dump the car at that price.
Probably best I do not mention which franchise here, but it is in Perth - I went there as I was told they were pretty straight.
After inquiring on each item's real need they decided they can drop it down to only two items really required, since "all Holdens have these areas worn", but total still over $3000. Wow. As an example, they rated brand new brake pads all round as being close to end of life.
Even told me I had fitted the wrong sway bar links - when I said they were supplied by another Pedders branch, they changed their story to tell me that they must be right and installed incorrectly. In fact they were supplied by the Pedders branch I used to use because they were good, however they changed their tactics to standard Pedders style and I stopped using them.
I know the links have always been wrong length - drive shaft fouls the swaybar on both sides on tight turns. I must get around to changing them to adjustable type.

.....anyway, just my experience in the long saga of Pedders business methods.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
What backlash do you have in your transmission?

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Just got the usual Pedders check done on my Adventra to find out the price to get rid of the clunk from suspension and I am up for $5650 parts and installation:hmmm:.
I know they have not found the real problem - the backlash in transmission is a different matter and sounds/feels different. I have many years of experience as a mechanical engineer in heavy industry, so hopefully know a few things about machinery. Not much still OK under car obviously. Seems to be a familiar story with Pedders and I told them I will just get a trade in pricing done to dump the car at that price.
Probably best I do not mention which franchise here, but it is in Perth - I went there as I was told they were pretty straight.
After inquiring on each item's real need they decided they can drop it down to only two items really required, since "all Holdens have these areas worn", but total still over $3000. Wow. As an example, they rated brand new brake pads all round as being close to end of life.
Even told me I had fitted the wrong sway bar links - when I said they were supplied by another Pedders branch, they changed their story to tell me that they must be right and installed incorrectly. In fact they were supplied by the Pedders branch I used to use because they were good, however they changed their tactics to standard Pedders style and I stopped using them.
I know the links have always been wrong length - drive shaft fouls the swaybar on both sides on tight turns. I must get around to changing them to adjustable type.

.....anyway, just my experience in the long saga of Pedders business methods.

Keep in mind Pedders is a franchise. One branches issues doesn't mean they all have them. Feel free to name them, so people know the exact place to avoid! :) It's like saying the Camms Road maccas is full of bogans. Because it is.

I spoke to my local pedders this weekend about springs. Very helpful and pretty accurately priced. That was the Ringwood store.

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
I also have an Adventra. I had a knocking noise from the front (not sure if it's the same as what you are experiencing) turned out the bolts on the steering rack were loose. Once they were properly tightened the noise went away. Good luck, hope you have an easy fix.

try_again

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6 and VF SS Storm Sportwagon
If you want new springs for an Adventra, King Springs make a raised set (30mm approx.).

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Backlash is in the drive shaft from the transfer case to front diff. Quite easy to feel when turning shaft by hand.
I already knew about that issue and have had it for a long time.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Not sure if pricing is fair but I have found pedders quotes to be thorough, very thorough.
Like even if a bush looks worn (ie, dirty, settled in), they hit you up for it.

RazzleDazzle

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VX Commodore
Our experiences with Pedders in Rockhampton have been nothing but very positive and no I don't work there nor do I have shares in Pedders.
Whats I've done is purchased my own parts and they've fitted them, at our last appointment they even suggested replacing a couple of worn things that had nothing to do with the other job.
Outstanding service and if you want good quality service you do have to pay for it.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I'm surprised you even took your car in to them?
A lot of places don't even charge for a quote & there not full of **** either.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Why would you go get a quote if you already know they have ridiculous quotes (and are famous for doing so)?