Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interior Light fuse - How to ?

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
I blew the interior light fuse , now it says to pull down on the plastic cover under the steering wheel ?

I tried that , and nothing . Just how hard are you supposed to pull ? I really dont want to break anything ..

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Seriously , I don't know what Retard at Holden designed the retaining clips on the VZ for the fuse cover . Seriously CRAP design ..
And as I was afraid , one clip ( part of the cover - Plastic molding - clip part ) .. Is broken ..
It really required a lot of force to open ...
And I really hate breaking things , especially when a little intelligent design should = Literally no force required .. Of any kind ....
No wonder Holden is giving up making cars in Australia , they cant even design a fuse cover properly ...

I was afraid the clip design would be the same as on the GPS retainer for the screen , what a FKN awful thing ...
I really hope the SFB that came up with the design no longer has a job , I am so pissed ATM

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Common fault/bad design. I've just replaced mine. Only one clip and one hinge was holding it on.

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
It baffles me , replacing a fuse should not be a PITA . Every now and again you need to replace a fuse , it should not be a major expense to replace a 90c or less fuse ..
Cheapest fuse cover I have seen , $20
Most expensive , North of $100 , that's crazy expensive plastic .
Unless Holden designed it to break , you know , make more money from selling spare parts .

Butt! Seriously , I can think of half a dozen ways ways that would have cost the same or less , and been far better , and probably never break ( probably ) .
I honestly cant even imagine why , they did it this way ? ( Again - unless they wanted the end result to be a broken fuse cover )

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ive not managed to break a single one ive had to remove at work. have seen a few broken ones though.

im assuming you pulled towards the back of the car and not directly downwards?

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
No

ive not managed to break a single one ive had to remove at work. have seen a few broken ones though.

im assuming you pulled towards the back of the car and not directly downwards?

No not downwards ..
I was trying to pry outward without blocking the swing ..
The left side simply refused to let go .. Until it broke ..
I had to deal with these clips when replacing the radio , I got factory Sat Nav .. ( Which I dont like , so put in a double Din Sterio GPS , DVD unit )
Same issue , the clips refused to let go , so two broken tabs as a result ..
SO now I have 2x GPS in the car ...

GM unit is now used for Speed check and trip function ...
Are there any wires behind the Fuse cover up top on the left side .. Might just drill a hole and secure it with a self tapping screw ( Black screw ) Rather than shelling out $ for another fuse cover ..