Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adventra was a failure? So why was the Volvo XC90 a "success"?

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
I seriously love my Adventra. It drives like you own the road, and feels like it can go anywhere (even though that's not quite true).
It's amazingly rock solid on gravel, dirt & wet roads, and it's so roomy that sleeping in it is like being in a big capsule hotel.

Still, it was a failure in the Australian market, and in light of this, I regard my Addy like you would a big, strong, comfortable, loveable, loyal & dependable but stupid dog that drinks too much.

So the Volvo XC90 is a puzzle.
I saw one the other day, and that got me doing some research.

It's like a European Adventra. Looks very similar, weighs about the same, has about the same capacity & general capabilities.
In fact, it's not quite as good as the Adventra.
Most models are underpowered, from all accounts, it doesn't drive as well, isn't as good on dirt roads or mud, and drinks even more.

Yet it's been regarded as a success for a decade, and is still being made to this day!
But the Adventra, which arguably is the same if not better, isn't.

So WHY??

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Simple answers.
Imported from Europe, therefore must be good......... Badge snobbery at school pickup zones.......... Doesn't look like a bogan mobile on stilts.......Not a "real" SUV or 4WD.
And any other dumb reason that you can think of that has helped to lead to the demise of the Oz car industry.
Can't wait to get my bum into one of the latest SUV offerings coming out of China, they should be the goods for a trip to Birdsville.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
And any other dumb reason that you can think of that has helped to lead to the demise of the Oz car industry.

A piss weak government allowing Aust to compete with third world wages.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Probably a perception thing, nobody would ever have expected Holden to have build a successful 4x4 vehicle.

Fairly much the same reason the Coupe4 and CrossXCrewman where never huge sellers either.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I seriously love my Adventra. It drives like you own the road, and feels like it can go anywhere (even though that's not quite true).
It's amazingly rock solid on gravel, dirt & wet roads, and it's so roomy that sleeping in it is like being in a big capsule hotel.

Still, it was a failure in the Australian market, and in light of this, I regard my Addy like you would a big, strong, comfortable, loveable, loyal & dependable but stupid dog that drinks too much.

So the Volvo XC90 is a puzzle.
I saw one the other day, and that got me doing some research.

It's like a European Adventra. Looks very similar, weighs about the same, has about the same capacity & general capabilities.
In fact, it's not quite as good as the Adventra.
Most models are underpowered, from all accounts, it doesn't drive as well, isn't as good on dirt roads or mud, and drinks even more.

Yet it's been regarded as a success for a decade, and is still being made to this day!
But the Adventra, which arguably is the same if not better, isn't.

So WHY??

Don't be fooled , the Volvo had a habit of its gearbox failing , parts were expensive and the ride was like a truck . I'd have picked an Adventurer any day, I love my SV6 for the reason that's it's a comfortable cruiser .

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I think lack of proper marketing of AWD Holdens may have been a factor, and that the Territory got much more favourable hype from the press, even though road tests on unsealed roads favoured the Adventra, which may have suffered "anti V8" opinions on early versions.
I'm sort of glad that Holden didn't make a VE Monaro or Cross6/8 Crewman, and will not make Holdens beyond 2017, this will save me a lot of money, because I'm unlikely to update my current cars.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think lack of proper marketing of AWD Holdens may have been a factor, and that the Territory got much more favourable hype from the press, even though road tests on unsealed roads favoured the Adventra, which may have suffered "anti V8" opinions on early versions.
I'm sort of glad that Holden didn't make a VE Monaro or Cross6/8 Crewman, and will not make Holdens beyond 2017, this will save me a lot of money, because I'm unlikely to update my current cars.

exactly , having driven both the Adventra and Territory , the Holden felt a lot better on and off road , more planted and a whole lot more comfortable as well, a missed chance if ever there was , plus the fact as you mention the Ford got a more coverage by motoring journals

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
exactly , having driven both the Adventra and Territory , the Holden felt a lot better on and off road , more planted and a whole lot more comfortable as well, a missed chance if ever there was , plus the fact as you mention the Ford got a more coverage by motoring journals

The Adventra looked like a Volvo.
The Territory looked like an Australian version of the BMW X5, that's why the media and people like it.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Adventra looked like a Volvo.
The Territory looked like an Australian version of the BMW X5, that's why the media and people like it.

True that , and let's not forget brand snobbery

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
What Immortality said. The market went through an SUV obsession stage, and as great as the Adventura was, it's still just a Commodore wagon by perception.