Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Popping/Pulsing under heavy acceleration

an_bt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais
Howdy ya'll!
Recently i've noticed that when the vehicle is under heavy load, this popping/pulsing noise happens. While under normal driving conditions, there is no noise. Before the incident, i always filled up with RON 91, after filling half the tank with RON 95, running most of the fuel and then back to 91, it began happening.
Im pretty sure fuel has nothing to do with it.

The car also has a rough idle, identified by a "mechanic" after doing the service and telling me "there's something not quite right with the car" what could it possibly be?

cheers for your help!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Could be plugs or a dodgy coil. Assuming it's a V6.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The 'Mechanic' should be able to identify that its plugs/leads/coil

Just sayin ...

an_bt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais
Yeah its a v6 Calais. Its clicked over 105xxx kms so it could be plugs (although they are due @ 120,000)

an_bt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais
Sadly i dont trust my mechanic. He said he'll need a whole day to run diagnostics in order to find the problem

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Sadly i dont trust my mechanic. He said he'll need a whole day to run diagnostics in order to find the problem
Uniacidz is on the money you could start with the cheaper options such as plugs than leads and so on.Or buy the whole the lot to eliminate a ignition problem and see if that fixes the issue. Could be something really simple like a loose lead might pay to have a look first.

an_bt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais
Uniacidz is on the money you could start with the cheaper options such as plugs than leads and so on.Or buy the whole the lot to eliminate a ignition problem and see if that fixes the issue. Could be something really simple like a loose lead might pay to have a look first.

Okay cheers, just had a chat with mum and she said that mechanic quoted a grand to replace the coil packs haha.

So ive been looking online and they vary from the genuines being $300 odd and others being $180. In this situation is it best to stick with genuine?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Are the mechanics coil packs lined with gold?

Holy shoot

Maybe, maybe Holden quoted him a big price as they do sometimes and then mechanic also obviously labour.

As far as I can see also, manifold needs replacing when doing the coils (last link below)????

Think Bosch does a set also.
Genuine Bosch Ignition Coil Holden Commodore VZ Crewman Rodeo RA Statesman WL | eBay

or originals

6 X NEW Genuine Denso Ignition Coil Holden Commodore VZ VE V6 Statesman Captiva | eBay

or Bosch with manifold gaskets
6X NEW Bosch Holden VZ Adventura Colorado Rodeo Ignition Coil Free Gasket'S | eBay

an_bt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais
Are the mechanics coil packs lined with gold?

Holy shoot

Maybe, maybe Holden quoted him a big price as they do sometimes and then mechanic also obviously labour.

As far as I can see also, manifold needs replacing when doing the coils (last link below)????

Think Bosch does a set also.
Genuine Bosch Ignition Coil Holden Commodore VZ Crewman Rodeo RA Statesman WL | eBay

or originals

6 X NEW Genuine Denso Ignition Coil Holden Commodore VZ VE V6 Statesman Captiva | eBay

or Bosch with manifold gaskets
6X NEW Bosch Holden VZ Adventura Colorado Rodeo Ignition Coil Free Gasket'S | eBay

Alright cheers for that info. Now i just need some time and hopefully take care of it soon.

an_bt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais
I was looking on ebay and on one of the ignition coil products, they say that some vz's were fitted with Bosch coils while other vz's were fitted with Denso coils. They say that these arent interchangeable.

Is there any truth behind this? Arent I able to install any ingition coil brand as long as it's suitable for the alloytec 190 motor such as ac-delco, bosch, denso??

Cheers