Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Powertrain Warning

Ryteful

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden VZ Commodore Executive
Hi Guys,

I apologise in advance if I am putting this in the wrong area, or if this has already been asked.

I have a 2006 VZ Commodore Executive with factory fitted dual fuel.

Living in Ballarat, Victoria we have our fair share of cold mornings. I have an issue when running on gas where the a few minutes into driving in the morning (I believe that it is when the car changes from fuel to gas) the car shudders and loses power then the check powertrain warning comes up.

I put the car in neutral rolling along, turn the engine off and switch to fuel, then restart the car and put it into drive. The warning disappears and I can continue driving with no issues.

It seems to only happen when it is fairly cold (which is quite often).

Can anybody advise what might be causing this issue? And the best way to go about getting it fixed?

Thanks!

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
When on Gas, the plugs and coil packs have to be 100% good, especially on cold mornings. If it is too cold, the mixer should not let it change to gas until it is per warmed from the coolant because as gas expands from a liquid to a gas it wants to freeze. I would bet if you ran it on petrol for another 15 minutes and everything else is ok, then it should be smoother. If not, change coil packs and plugs!

Ryteful

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden VZ Commodore Executive
Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to adjust the time before it switches from Fuel to Gas? It normally happens when I have it on gas, but I believe that the car will use fuel to start and run for the first few minutes and then switch automatically.