Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel sizes

TimTam0711

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006VZ Berlina Wagon
Hi! I've just brought a VZ Beelina Wagon and wanting to change the rims from 16" to 18". Some rims I'm looking at are 18x7, 18x7.5 or 18x8 etc etc. do I need a specific width for my car or will all widths fit?
Thanking you.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
All widths will fit providing the offset is correct.
Best of those you have shown is 18x8" as that will alloow you to run either a 235 or 245/40 x18 tyre.
with an 8" rim you want an offset between 48P (std holden/HSV) to no less than 35P preferably around 40P so no rubbing.
The perfect rim for a VT-VZ wagon would be 8.5" with a 45P offset running either of those earlier tyres.
I run 18x8 35P 235/40x18 on the front and 18x9 45P 275/30x18 on the rear but have the guards rolled.

TimTam0711

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006VZ Berlina Wagon
Thank you very much. I've been recommended to go the 18's and warned off 20's due to possible buckling and an uncomfortable drive. Is this true? I've only ever had standard rims so this is a new world for me at the moment.

Vegemite

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais
I have 20's and I didnt feel much of a difference changing from 17's to them, It was slightly rougher though as I went from a 245/45/17 to a 225/35/20

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thank you very much. I've been recommended to go the 18's and warned off 20's due to possible buckling and an uncomfortable drive. Is this true? I've only ever had standard rims so this is a new world for me at the moment.

The 20" tyre has a low profile....the rim has no support on the inside edge.....combine the 2 together, with the lovely roads, the absorbsion is taken up by the rim......end result, a buckle.....

The ride is also slightly harsher, due to the lack of tyre absorbsion.....so personally, stick with an 18" rim....lot easier on the hip pocket and the back

Vegemite

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais
If the rims are not cheap how likely is it for a rim to buckle?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Think of it this way.
Whatever stock wheels were put on the car from factory, you can add 2 inchs.

So if you have a 16inch, you can go 18inch
Others ignore that however and place on what they like, its only for legal purposes, rego etc that may be a issue.

As for 20inch wheels, man good luck
I have 19, BSA brannd and due to potholes in the last year, damaged 3 that needed rewelding and repairs due to bad roads

Ideal situation for me is 18inch, but havent found a set.
However even with 18inch wheels, lowered, it was a tough ride in my prior car.

Driving a hire car right now, Corolla, and man enjoying the non worry about potholes etc

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Think of it this way.
Whatever stock wheels were put on the car from factory, you can add 2 inchs.

So if you have a 16inch, you can go 18inch
Others ignore that however and place on what they like, its only for legal purposes, rego etc that may be a issue.

That's no longer a law.....You can put any size rim on your car, providing the track isn't exceeded my 25MM or 26MM from the widest track the car's model was manufacturered with....The rolling radius must not increase over 10% (I think) from what the car was manufacturered to comply with....The tyre must meet the minimum load capacity available for that model and no part of the rim or tyre will foul the suspension components....You are also not permitted to modify the suspension components to accomodate the rim/tyre package, without an engineers approval...You are also not permitted to use spacers unless the car came out with them from the factory.

So to cut through all the crap....he can put 22" rims on the car without effecting the roadworthiness of the car.....even if the car came from the factory with 15" rims, providing the rolling radius of the package doesn't exceed 10% (I think) and the tyre load rating is 92 or more....