Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz Thunder SS gear grinding

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hey guys looking for a bit of help with my 06 thunder as (manual)

Up until very recently my gear box ran completely fine but a week or two ago it wouldn't go into gear when I jumped in after work. Ended up putting a bit of force (not an overly large amount) and it went in. Since then though it has been grinding through all gear changes (even 5th - 6th) and while sitting in 1st with foot in the clutch at the lights it sometimes goes a little rough as if the clutch isn't all the way out?

Changed the transmission oil which was filthy but hasn't helped

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Definitely sounds like the clutch/pressure plate has thrown a leg outa bed, and its not releasing completely.:undead:

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Am I guessing correctly that I'll need a new clutch then?

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Hi champ,
it could be the clutch, a collapsed finger on the pressure plate or even a stuffed slave cylinder, unfortunately the box will have to come out to replace any or all, and as you stated; with it in gear and your clutch fully depressed, you feel it want to move.
Have you seen the clutch set up Holmart has for $425, out of a 427 H/Duty and its located down your way.
I,d be inclined to give it the once over, better off at home rather than stranded out in the middle of no-where.
That crunching will cost you big time if you break the syncro,s
Keep us posted champ of the outcome and if you do go with the clutch setup from Holmart, what you think of it ,
Cheers CONROD:beer chug:

http://holmart.com.au/online/index.htm

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna try a long shot and put some new clutch fluid through it as the old stuff is pretty filthy. If that doesn't work I'll drop it out and have a look.

Any idea how the LS7 clutch matches up against an exedy or xtreme?