Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing rear brake lights to LED - how to connect the load resistor?

mrjayviper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
So I bought load resistors so I can use LED bulbs.

I just looked at the bulb socket and it seems there are 2x + terminals and 1x - terminal. Do I clipped 1 side of the resistor on both + terminals and the other on the negative or clipping on 1 + terminal is good enough?

I'm thinking only 1 wire is need as connecting 2x + wires would short the 2 wires. Thanks! :)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
you can wire it into the anode (positive) side. OR you could wire it to the cathode side (negative). It will still work the same although you might get a tail/brake light warning light on your dash if you only do it for the brake lights OR tail lights. I'm not exactly sure how the load sensing circuit for the dash lights work, so I'd connect on the negative side.

As a side note, converting the tail/brake lights to LED is highly illegal and in the event of somebody rear ending you, you would be at fault and insurance void because you haven't used ADR approved lights and therefore rendered your vehicle unroadworthy.

jstcraig

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Monaro V2/04 X8 Crewman
Have rear tail lights with led units in place of OEM and the cruise control doesn't work, placed two 50w x 6 ohm load resistors on the rear wiring and still don't have a working cruise control all fuses are ok

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Have rear tail lights with led units in place of OEM and the cruise control doesn't work, placed two 50w x 6 ohm load resistors on the rear wiring and still don't have a working cruise control all fuses are ok

how did you wire the load resistors?

jstcraig

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Monaro V2/04 X8 Crewman
As per instructions found on several sites, but essentially one side to brake light feed and the other to the unit earth lead, not sure if there is + or - side on the load resistor, as a side issue I tried to reset the service reminder today to find that the mode button is non responsive so it may be a deeper issue :bomb:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
resisters are not polarity sensitive like diode, I have seen the resistors in series on the ground/earth wire for rear lights, running in series in the ground wire will increase the resistance and may fix your issue for both brake an tail, also cruise, many a diagram does show in parallel, the resistor is the load, but electricity will follow easiest path, just a thought, are your lights working correctly with the load resistors, check maybe your switch on the pedal for faulty cruise also, one switch for auto, two for manual (on clutch pedal)