Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What oil for my 05 sv6

stuee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sv6
Hi all.
U have read alot of posts on here about different oils to use in my new (well old) vz wagon.
The problem is the posts are over 5 years old and oil has changed alot since then with new brands etc.

I see supercheap has a big oil sale on today for a week and want to do a change. If someone could recommend the best / or close to best to use.
Also am i able to use the engine oil flush from nulon before to clear out and sludge.

One more thing, is the transmission better to have the mineral or synthetic oil.

Thanks
Stu

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Hey Stu , use Penrite HPR5 or a good synthetic of required viscosity of 5W 30 in the car , a flush wouldn't hurt but if the changes have been regular this won't be needed , as for the transmission use GM specified fluid- DEXTRON VI automatic transmission fluid .

welcome in as well .

Last edited:

chrism182

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 ltr M6
As above, any 5W-30 full synthetic oil will be best suit.

Penrite - HPR5 5W-40
Valvoline - Synpower 5W-30 DX1
Nulon - 5W-30

As for the transmission a synthetic is also the best option. The spec is Dexron IV which can be found in a few multi vehicle automatic transmission fluids such as Valvoline MaxLife ATF.

Hope this helps.