Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Won't crank after reverse battery

rhysu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Tonner
Hey guys, I signed up since everyone of the threads i was reading from here had mixed results due to different causes making the same symptoms... anyway, I got a VZ ute for nothing if I can fix it and the story is the previous owner put a new battery in and connected it the wrong way for a split second before realising what he had done after the sparks flew at him. He left it for a bit and reinstalled the battery the correct way (he is old mind you and sight is not the best)
The ignition turns on and all the interior accessories work, lights, windows, stereo, instruments etc but it won't crank. No ticking, no drain of power etc. I put my OBD2 connector on it and connected to the ecu fine but pulled up no fault codes after scanning it twice.
At the same time it is reading "Fuel Gauge Error" and "Service Vehicle Soon". All the fuses have been checked and all relays replaced with working ones from other vehicles I own.. Yet still a mystery.
Was wondering if anyway was able to shed some light on it at all.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Have you checked the fusible links in the fuse box under the bonnet. If think not having the ignition on has saved everything from sudden death that's why its all still o.k

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
Bcm probably fried you will need to relink the bcm with ecu if you get another one or it won't work tech 2 or similar will be needed to make the link up

rhysu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Tonner
Yeah checked the fusible links in the fuse box. They're all perfectly fine.

rhysu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Tonner
Enough to start.. Wouldn't stop it from cranking though....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Have you checked you're getting power to the starter solenoid, when trying to crank? If not, check for power to and from the relay, and the fuses, starting from the solenoid area, back to the ignition switch....

If you're getting power there, under cranking, good chance the starter is fried....Replace the starter and you should be good to go.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Ground wire at the back of the engine , at the back of the passenger side head . or starter is dead

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
manually bridging the starting will tell if its working