Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Windscreen Query

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Long story short I have a very irritating chip in my windscreen. It is dead center in line with my field of vision when driving. If I have the windscreen replaced will the new glass have the sun blocking part (consisting of many black dots) around the rear vision mirror and between the two sun visors? Or will the new glass just have blue band across the top?

Thanks.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Depends on the vehicle and availability of windscreens.

Tinted banded windscreen is available for most vehicles (blue/green band across the top) and clear windscreen is that of just black borders with maybe acrylic dots near rear vision mirror.

My corolla hire car doesn't have the tinted band, but my owned cars of two falcons and Commodore did.

Tinted banded windscreen with colour across the top still has the dots to the rear vision mirror

What's the concern?

Got windscreen insurance?

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm just a bit OCD. I like how the acrylic dots obscure the sun when low to the horizon when at certain angles. I'm less inclined to have the windscreen replaced if the replacement doesn't have them. My insurance policy covers one free windscreen per year.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
so call the windscreen shops, ask them if itll have it?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'm just a bit OCD. I like how the acrylic dots obscure the sun when low to the horizon when at certain angles. I'm less inclined to have the windscreen replaced if the replacement doesn't have them. My insurance policy covers one free windscreen per year.

If its for your VZ, will have dots and also tinted band.
Only one type available.

ALSO EDIT

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ot-good-there-job-anymore-wrecked-my-car.html

In this thread, complete windscreens did a botch job on Devilly's car
Dunno why the posts deleted though.

But apparently mould alignment, and sikaflex stains and misaligned windscreen from memory.
Mightve been a glaziers bad day, but research companies or ask for specific if using insurance.

Got my front done twice and rear done once by Obrien and windscreen done not long ago.
Cant fault it.

Would recommend RainX afterwards on the glass (not the type you place into washer reservoir)
Beads water away nicely.
Anything over 50km/h dont even need wipers when raining as wind blows it off

Last edited:

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
If its for your VZ, will have dots and also tinted band.
Only one type available.

Cheers uniacidz. Obrien's is going to be my first port of call next week. I used them when I owned a VL many, many years ago.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Cheers uniacidz. Obrien's is going to be my first port of call next week. I used them when I owned a VL many, many years ago.

May I suggest shop around.
Windscreens are not really an expensive thing, but money can be saved if you need to.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
gossie:2747501 said:

May I suggest shop around.
Windscreens are not really an expensive thing, but money can be saved if you need to.

He has the windscreen insurance option

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Try to avoid Chinese manufactured windscreens.