Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission service include diff oil change?

Kokentoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Storm Ute
Hey guys,

I just had a transmission service done on my VZ V6 4 speed auto. Just wanting to know if this normally involves changing the fluid of the transmission and the differential, or would the latter not have been done and be apart of a separate procedure? I should have asked the guys who did it but it didn't occur to me at the time. Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
u will prob have to ask for a diff oil change very rare for them to change it but should be done regularly like all other oils imo...

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Diff oil wont be changed with trans oil.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Probably a bit like the air in your tyres - they won't change that unless you ask them to.:hmmm:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
Probably a bit like the air in your tyres - they won't change that unless you ask them to.:hmmm:

And if they changed it without asking you and then charged you for it you'd have a sook. Wouldnt you.

Kokentoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Storm Ute
Well, I just had a read of the thread "how to change diff oil on a vz" and bought some diff fluid. Seems simple enough so I'm going to give it a go. Not sure how long it's been since it was last done but I'll find out soon.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
Make sure you open the filler before you open the drain. Not only will it help the fluid to drain out, but they can sometimes become quite tight and you dont want to be left with a rounded plug and no oil in the diff.

Clutchess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LX6 Adventra
Is there a particular oil that is best to use?

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Check your manual, but it should be 80 or 85W-140 GL-5 with HN2040.
If it has an LSD you may need LSD additive, but most of the brands include the additive in their oil.
Any of the big brands Nulon/Penrite/Castrol/Royal Purple/... all do a good synthetic diff oil. You will need about 1.7 litres.

You can add some Nulon G70 additive, if you are so inclined, but that may start another debate.