Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

UTE owners. What are your tray setups like?

Vxcalaisv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder L98
I just bought my first ute. A 2006 VZ SS Thunder with a tub liner and hard lid. I'm new to this and would like to know how everyone has their tray set up and preferences. I have a tub liner with a couple of black 25L tubs secured with some hook elastic straps to chuck bags/small items in so they don't roll around. Is the tub liner good or should i ditch it? What are the best straps to use? Does anyone have a rubber mat? How much and where did you get them? Thanks guys look forward to some answers.

Vxcalaisv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder L98
I have also heard of a cargo securing ratchet pole but can't get them anywhere here in SA that i can find. Does anyone know of what I'm talking about or where i can find one in SA?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I have the tubliner in, does it job fine. I also have a large box occy strapped in the back corner which I chuck straps and other smaller stuff I don't want flying around the tray. Mats wise I have a set of those camping mats joined together from SCA, cost like $20 and works well. Only thing is I'd like something more substantial/heavier as the current mats try and take flight if travelling over 80 without something on them.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Leave the tub liner in or you will ruin your tray with scratches and sh1t like mine. SCA has a mat i thinks a bit of a rip off at $100 thou. Ute Tray Mat - Rubber, Black, 1200 x 1830mm - Supercheap Auto Australia

Have you ever taken the tray out? It doesn't stop scratches at all. I still use mine though as it looks better and is better to sit things on. I also prefer my soft cover in case I need to carry large stuff and don't have anywhere I could leave the hard cover.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
I ditched the ute hard lid and put in a roller tarp.

Don't worry about mats if you have a tub liner, use it as they intended, as they are an actual liner and not the tray like ford utes.

poolkeeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Use the tub liner, and get a rubber mat - *stops most stuff rolling around*

I have the back of mine full of plactic trays and tubs etc.... no need for straps or anything

Iman

VZ SSZ Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
xoff5y.jpg

Tub liner + Rubber matt and have a large tool box at the back. Pretty clean most of the time
Set up some lights using an LED Strip hooked to a switch at the back of the tray. Lights up the street when on.

Vxcalaisv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder L98
xoff5y.jpg

Tub liner + Rubber matt and have a large tool box at the back. Pretty clean most of the time
Set up some lights using an LED Strip hooked to a switch at the back of the tray. Lights up the street when on.

Dude please explain in complete detail how to do that. That's awesome and so handy to have if camping!

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
I know the liners are fantastic for keeping everything you put in the back from marking it, but I found they chafe the friggin **** out of the paint, so this time round I went for the OEM mat and tailgate liner. Paint is the same as day one. I found using a couple of large polystyrene box,s with lids from the local fruit shop are ideal for holding stuff in them and come in handy when carting frozen **** home when shopping or putting some drinks and ice in them when going on a run, and the buggers don't slide around, cheers

Attachments

• P6300240.jpg
    P6300240.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 2,846
  • commy ute 1.jpg
    commy ute 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 3,285