Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz Alloytec fuel gauge issue

stuee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sv6
Hi.
I have purchase a v6 aloytec vz wagon.
The fuel gauge seems to be not showing right.

Like just now it said 40k to empty and on the first red line.
put in 15L and it went about 3mm higher. I just drove 50 k and it went lower and lower to the point it said 5 k to empty and i has no servo near so was getting worried. After it basically bottom lined it started goin up again and went back to 65k to empty???

what could be causing this?
Do i need to run it dry to reset it?
Is the sender faulty?

Thanks in advance anyone.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The computer will not look at small amounts of fuel being added. It will also update every 30 seconds under 50 DTE instead of every 2 minutes when there is plenty of fuel.

The trip computer has a memory of driving style that can be reset if you take the battery off for a while. It can jump around a bit until you have a few kms done in it.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi.

put in 15L and it went about 3mm higher. I just drove 50 k and it went lower and lower to the point it said 5 k to empty and i has no servo near so was getting worried. After it basically bottom lined it started goin up again and went back to 65k to empty???

Is the sender faulty?

It might be just the nature of the beast. Has my VZ wagon nearly 2 years, had the sender replaced and computer reset for the same problem. In my case it mostly plays up when drivers side of the car is higher than the passenger side, such as when parked in a gutter. Aware of it but not that bothered by it.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Hi.

Is the sender faulty?

Fill it up , and see how it goes .

DK101

Next Burnout Grand Master
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
'93 VR SS - 304 T5, '95 Exec - 355 T5
I got this problem too. Anywhere below 1/3 of a tank and it tells me lies all day. Just guess and go lol.
Been told it's a problem with my BCM by a friend, but a Holden Tech tells me to replace entire sender unit.
Anyone else know more?

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
On the VZ we reset the trip meter on fill. Base the usage on litres used in trip meter and it is accurate within a litre (or two).

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Common "problem".... but not a problem.
Keep the tank full, don't try to run it with less than a quarter showing , distance to empty depends on your driving style, and wouldn't you prefer it to show "0 km" and still be driving rather than "50 km" and be out of petrol ?

DK101

Next Burnout Grand Master
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
'93 VR SS - 304 T5, '95 Exec - 355 T5
Yeah it's not that big of an issue, just annoys the missus who owns the car and is a Learner.
When it's over half a tank it's always correct, but being out in the sticks with over-priced watered-down fuel on offer it's a bit hard to keep it full but as long as it's still turning oil then I guess it's got petrol, right? :p

There was actually a time when I had 0 DTE and 85km to my objective. On the other side of a Mountain range. Stayed on 0 the whole way, and staying at 100km/h.
Made it there without a single falter, and the car got a good dose of clean fuel and a new filter after that. The computer issue has been doing it since I got the car, not because of that trip haha ;)