Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ right manifold and cylinder head removal

Keithone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY
Thanks to everyone one this forum, 99, markovr and many others, I have now reached the stage of removing the exhaust manifold from the drivers side (R) in preparation of removing the head.
My little problem (and bleeding knuckles) is : I have removed the top heat shield. I have managed to remove some of the bolts. There is one bolt that is impossible to undo. Its the bottom far left if you are facing the manifold.
The VE (mine is a vz) manual I bought says push down on the radiator tube to access the bolt. This is impossible as it is a metal tube and wont move. The bolt is at an angle and the radiator metal tube in front of it prevents any kind of engagement of socket or ratchet.I have tried from above and also been under the car.
Question 1. How do I access this bolt?
Question 2. Failing the above would I be able to unbolt the exhaust from the manifold join further down and just lift the whole cylinder head out with the manifold still attached?
Thanks to all
Keith

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I'd just be undoing the exhaust at the flange and leaving the manifold attached to the head.

Keithone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY
Excellent. I have WD 40'd the two bolts at the flange. i'll give it a go today and report back
cheers Keith

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There is a bolt along the top that holds the bracket for that coolant tube, undo that and the tube will push down out of the way. How did you go with the very front bolt? Or did you take the pulley bracket off first?