Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing a Diff Insert?

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
When I was getting some suspension work done, I had them put in one of those Nolathane Diff Inserts.
Sounded like a good idea.

Unfortunately, the combination of this, the upgraded front bushes and my Adventra's self-levelling rear shocks (pneumatic) has made the rear very harsh under certain conditions.
It was always a bit stiff at the back, this has made it worse. Not just my opinion. Yes, I feel like a goose.

I want to remove the insert.
I don't have a workshop or access to one.

Is it practical to cut the insert out, (as in reach in with a blade and cut it into pieces & pull them out with pliers) as long as I'm careful not to also cut the original rubber mount?
Or should I just pay the money & get the professionals to do it?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The diff insert should have absolutely no effect on the ride harshness. It just take the shock out of the diff trying to turn when you accelerate. Diff lash (?).

But if you really want to remove it. I believe you just put a stand or jack under the diff, remove the 4 bolts holding the rear mounting piece, on. And remove the insert.

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
The diff insert should have absolutely no effect on the ride harshness. It just take the shock out of the diff trying to turn when you accelerate. Diff lash (?).

But if you really want to remove it. I believe you just put a stand or jack under the diff, remove the 4 bolts holding the rear mounting piece, on. And remove the insert.

Thanks, but I wanted to avoid undoing those bolts.
They're a bit too important for someone with my stuffing-up ability to fiddle with!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Its fine.

Undo the bolts, remove the insert, put the bolts back in.

There are 4 big bolts above the diff that takes most of the weight. And just put a jack below the diff and hold it up anyway.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Its not just the 4 13mm bolts you need to undo, you need a big 22 or 24mm for the 2 bolts that hold the bracket to the snout. as pictured.

IMG_3249.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P.s. OP put your handbag down and just do it, its not hard, there is no short cut for this, when replacing the 4 13mm bolts put some blue thread locker (loctite etc..) on them

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
**** I forgot about those ones.

Been a while since I fitted mine.