Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery ?? Starter motor?

Clutchess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LX6 Adventra
Car won't start . Everything comes on headlights ,dash but won't click over , I did have the headlights on for over half an hour ... Do things still light up even if there's not enough power to start it ? I'm in the middle of a state Forrest . No roadside assistance .. Hoping a jump start will do it ?

Clutchess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LX6 Adventra
The windows are going up slower than before .. So pretty sure it's the battery ..

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
If it's just the battery it should drop it's voltage when you try to crank the engine and this will make the dash go out and you may hear the starter solenoid click in and out.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Did a guy turn up in an F Truck and offer you a lift ........

Clutchess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LX6 Adventra
Ah the 'starter solenoid' was the noise I was hearing .
A couple of guys came out from Melb in their 4wd to give us a jump start 11.30 Sunday night $300 ! . After getting through some nasty mud ruts on dark by filling them with logs , stopped to celebrate and shot ourselves in the foot . Car was heaps of fun to drive testing out hill descent and using the paddles . Are loud 'grinding' noises to be expected from the stability control system on muddy uneven ,rocky roads ?

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Ah the 'starter solenoid' was the noise I was hearing .
A couple of guys came out from Melb in their 4wd to give us a jump start 11.30 Sunday night $300 ! . After getting through some nasty mud ruts on dark by filling them with logs , stopped to celebrate and shot ourselves in the foot . Car was heaps of fun to drive testing out hill descent and using the paddles . Are loud 'grinding' noises to be expected from the stability control system on muddy uneven ,rocky roads ?

got some pics?

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I left my lights on for 1 hour last night (including interior) and didn't realise.

The battery was only just under what was required as no lights were dimmed, windows, etc all worked perfect but would click upon trying to start.. thank god we had friends over and jumper leads in my boot.

Clutchess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LX6 Adventra
Damn it no pics ! It crossed my mind but with dogs in the car we had to get on with it . We will go out again in the next 2 weeks , I'm sure others will be making use of our handy work ;) ( it's Ruth's Gully in Lerderderg for Vic folk)
Trawling through previous forums , I've learnt that the clicking sound is known as the Holden machine gun. Love it !
Going to get a spare battery or starter pack (?) cause we don't usually travel with others .

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
FYI the grinding noise is normal from ABS when losing traction, its the actuators moving in and out at the diff

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk