Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Engine Check Light

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Hey boys

I have my VZ SS L98 ute play up on me Friday.

Was driving home @ 100ks. And the cruise control automatically flicked off and the engine light popped on. I pulled over, switched it off then realized i wasn’t safe enough over on the break down lane. So i went to start it and it cranked over alot of times before starting again. So i gave it some rev’s and looked at my taco and it wasn’t working. I jumped out and popped the bonnet. I saw the intake pipe was undone so i reconnected it and i started it and it started fine, everything worked so i drove home.

Then i was driving home Saturday and i was going around a round about and it started chugging half way around, like there was no fuel. Then it cleared up and the engine light popped on and once again i lost the tacho gauge. I switched it off and went to crank it again it did the crank over alot of times before firing up again

So i disconnected the battery, left it over night to reset the ecu. Next day i plugged it all back in. Took it for a spin and was giving it hell. It felt lively as normal. Then the engine light came on, tacho dropped while giving it ****. I babied it back to mine and when i got home i was revving it. and it sound like it back firing.

Now im not sure if its like a coil or if its actually a sensor. Has this happened to anyone? Im confused as to why the revs would drop all together.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Get it plugged in to work out what's failing on you. Should be codes logged for sure.

Sorry that's all I got :/

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Absolutely , get a scan to be sure
Could be anything

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Yeah get some codes scanned man , engine light can be set off with multiple things going wrong

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
had a mate come out that has a similar version of a tech 2 (not as advanced) he hooked it up.

the was some brake sensor fault which he wiped, and low MAF voltage. even tho the cars mafless?

there was nothing else really. two of the oxysensors were fluxing heaps tho. going from 150 to 700+

i dont know if its that or not

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
had a mate come out that has a similar version of a tech 2 (not as advanced) he hooked it up.

the was some brake sensor fault which he wiped, and low MAF voltage. even tho the cars mafless?

there was nothing else really. two of the oxysensors were fluxing heaps tho. going from 150 to 700+

i dont know if its that or not

You will always get a Maf error/low voltage since you have got yours mafless tuned . (not to worry about)
And the oxy sensors are susposed to be like that .
Brake sensor fault could be due to the abs not working properly , dues to low voltage . which would explain the dash cutting out and in .

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
well i think cleared off that code, so maybe I'll take it for a test drive and see if it comes on. i honestly dont think thats the problem. but hope it is so its an easy fix

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Completely unrelated to your issue , but I had a ABS fault come up on my SV6 , had a scan . zero DTC['s , but was a loose connection on battery ,

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
spoke to the guys who tuned my stato. obviously without seeing the car they are shooting in the dark but he said the brake fault could be the switches behind the brake pedal (??) causing it to think its reading wrong and sending it into limp mode.

fkn hate electrical cars. why did we ever move on from carby cars?

had anyone else heard or experienced this before

muzammil.i13

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vz 2006 (Chevrolet lumina 2006)
spoke to the guys who tuned my stato. obviously without seeing the car they are shooting in the dark but he said the brake fault could be the switches behind the brake pedal (??) causing it to think its reading wrong and sending it into limp mode.

fkn hate electrical cars. why did we ever move on from carby cars?

had anyone else heard or experienced this before
i had similar issue, while on cruise mode active this happened to me, i closely noticed & realized whenever i'm giving high beam it happens (cruise control + high beam) trips the whole car & restarts.

later i changed my head lamp bulb and it didnt happened again. Check in your car something is overloading the power which is tripping the whole system.