Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adventra - Fit a Trans Cooler! RECOMMENDED UPGRADE

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
After many delays, I finally fitted a transmission cooler to my VZ Adventra LX6.

Wow! Big difference in engine temperature.
It now runs cooler generally, heats up more slowly, and cools more rapidly.
I know this because I monitor the temperature using DashCommand to interpret the OBD-II signal from the ECU.
No more going over 100 when at rest after a hard run uphill.
No more getting hot in stop-start traffic.

This is an upgrade I would recommend to any Adventra 6 owner, whether you do any towing/heavy hauling or not.
The transmission is driven hard in the Alloytec Adventras, and it contributes a major amount of heat to the cooling load.
I regard this as a fix.

On the recommendation of OzNick, I installed the PWR VZ kit (Part No: PWO6690 – VZ V6 & V8 Commodore Transmission Cooler Kit inc Brackets).
Thanks to OzNick, who also provided installation advice, though I think my install worked out a little differently.

It didn't quite fit the Adventra out of the box - I had to
- remove 1 of the 2 existing brackets (the driver's side one)
- install the 2 supplied new brackets (drill 3 holes - one bracket has to go in an entirely new position))
- use the remaining original bracket to support the cooling loop (or whatever that thing is called)
- move the ambient air sensor out of the way of the cooler

But it was well worth it. Really pleased with the results.

I can publish photos if anyone is interested.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
After many delays, I finally fitted a transmission cooler to my VZ Adventra LX6.
Your install sounds fairly similar to mine - just some minor mods, except I didn't move the ambient temp sensor.

Did you bypass the radiator?
The kit leaves the radiator in-line which means you can still do a transmission overfill via the top return pipe if desired.

One issue it presents is the bottom opening of the Adventra doesn't have a grill, exposing the transmission cooler to potential damage.

I will probably put a metal grill over the bottom opening at some point soon to keep it safe.

Cheers, Nick

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
The kit leaves the radiator in-line which means you can still do a transmission overfill via the top return pipe if desired.

One issue it presents is the bottom opening of the Adventra doesn't have a grill, exposing the transmission cooler to potential damage.

I will probably put a metal grill over the bottom opening at some point soon to keep it safe.

Cheers, Nick

Ah, thanks! I was wondering how to top up the transmission fluid! :)

Yes, I was thinking about a grille myself - it does look a bit exposed.
Let me know if you have any good ideas.

cheers.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
On the subject of topping up the trans fluid via the top radiator connection, is there a recommended procedure?
Is it as simple as warm up, open up, top up, seal up?
Or do you have to do this a few times?

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
I fill the transmission via the fill plug on the transmission, with it warmed up and running in Park.

I just use the return hose to do a 500ml overfill, but you could fill from there, it's just very slow.

I also use Dexron XI.