Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz steering rack clunk

Bagginvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz ute
Hey guys I got a 04 vz ute and the rack is making a ####ed clunking noise coming from it when engines not running and you move steering wheel left to right and back quickly, it has always been there but is especially bad now since I hit a pot hole while opposite lock. Now I've read on the forums that it's not uncommon and can be fixed by just replacing the rack ends, now my question is, is it worth putting new rack ends in or just get a whole new rack, because I don't wana put new parts in the old rack then find out a couple months later that something else on the racks ####ed. Cheers harry.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
You can get reco genuine racks for $200 exchange. Wouldn't bother stuffing about at that price.

You will always get some clunking noise when the car is off as the rack is meant to operate with hydraulic pressure. Does it clunk or feel clunky when the engine is running?

Bagginvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz ute
Yeah It knocks no matter what state it's in. Hope it doesn't let go on the highway tomorrow haha

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Inner tie rod, might only want nipping up in the joint or the plastic bush is worn. Have someone do the rocking and you get under and pull down on the tie rod and I bet the noise stops, don't worry mate it wont let go.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Another issue I have found is, the rack bolts can work loose, causing the clunking sound....When you're under the car, grab 2 19MM spanners and just check they're tight

Changing the rackends is perfectly fine....When racks start to wear out internally, it starts with signs of fluid in the rack boots. If there are no signs of fluid in there, just replace the rack ends (presuming that is the cause) and you'll be good to go for a while yet.