Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Panel Beating

SaMmI89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
I'm new to this forum. Don't know where to find the answer, so just posting the question. Was reversed into and with no insurance for myself or the other driver, I know ill pay for it. How much would it cost to have the rear drivers side wheel arch fixed, (is rusting fast!) or would it be cheaper to replace the back panel/bumper?

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
How about going to the panel beaters to get a quote

SaMmI89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
It's just out of curiosity. Would rather not go to a panel beater and waste time if it would be cheaper to go to a wrecker and get what I need and do it myself at a cheaper cost.

D

Don123

My advice is to go to a panel beater, show him the damage and ask how would he go about fixing it, will it be cheaper this way or that way, listen to him carefully and then if you feel that you can do the job, do it.

SaMmI89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
Just don't like the thought of being overcharged/ripped off, had that happen too many times and don't trust them anymore, that's the reason I have posted on the forum as I'm just curious about what I may be looking at before I go there and am way overcharged. Or save the headache of it all do it without them.

D

Don123

I didn't say let them do the job, I said ASK HIM HOW TO GO ABOUT IT. Asking doesn't cost you anything, and while you're at the panel beater also ask how much will it cost, then if you do it yourself, you'll have a better idea of how much it will cost you to do it yourself ( parts, your time etc)
Just don't like the thought of being overcharged/ripped off, had that happen too many times and don't trust them anymore, that's the reason I have posted on the forum as I'm just curious about what I may be looking at before I go there and am way overcharged. Or save the headache of it all do it without them.

SaMmI89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
I understand what your saying, I know it's my best bet. I will take your advice and do so. But being a female I have been to mechanics and have been overcharged as I had no idea about cars, but being smarter about it now, i don't want to go to a panel beater and be in the same boat as I was with a mechanic. I'd rather have a ball park figure instead of going in blind sighted. If that makes any sense..

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Just go to around 4 panel beaters and get quotes from each, some may do extra things or take more time, etc.
Also get a quote without paint, just to see what it would be.

Without us seeing the damage we couldn't even take a guess at the cost to fix it.
but here is a number for you out of the air, and it could be completely wrong $500 - $4000

GTSLOVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V
Unless you are a qualified panel beater and know how to weld you won't be replacing the rear quarter panel, which includes the rear wheel arch. This panel is welded to the body not bolted on like the boot, front guards and doors etc. You will also find it difficult to repair without the right tools of the trade also unless your plan is to just fill it full of bog which will only end in tears.

Unfortunately it is one of those areas where a professional qualified repairer is needed. As long as you don't go to Habibs fly by night smash repairs and pick a mob who are established and been around for years you will be ok. I have been in the industry (painter and beater) since 1996 and you do get what you pay for in the end. Cheap always equals nasty.

Cheers