Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP - Installed new radiator, power steering fluid now overflowing.

JesseK

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ ute 3.6L
Hi everyone, I need some help with my 2004 VZ 3.6L ute

I just recently had a leak from a crack on the drivers side of my radiator due to the drivers side fan not working. I have flushed the cooling system, replaced the radiator and started filling the cooling system with coolant concentrate and water. I started the car to get the fluids pumping so I could then top it up. about 1 minute later (before the cooling fans turned on) the power steering fluid reservoir started overflowing and spewing out from the lid. I turned the car off straight away.

I feel like I have missed something or forgotten to do something before or after I installed the radiator.. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you!

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Random questions:
1) Manual or automatic?
2) If auto did you connect back the auto cooling lines?
3) Did you touch the power steering lines?

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
4) did you put water in the power steering reservoir

JesseK

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ ute 3.6L
Random questions:
1) Manual or automatic?
2) If auto did you connect back the auto cooling lines?
3) Did you touch the power steering lines?

Thanks for replying.

1) Automatic
2) I did reconnect the auto transmission cooling lines
3) Pretty sure I didn't. The only thing I touched was the air intake hose attached to the air filter. I removed it so I could take the fans and radiator out and attached it back on.
4) I did not add water to the PS reservoir. I did open the cap take a look before doing any work and I put it straight back on.

Cheers

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Long shot: Do you by chance have an external transmission cooler that you have connected into your power steering return pipe?

Otherwise there should be someone who has other ideas.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
check cap is on properly, did you move steering while trying to get fluids going

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Not sure if they changed anything on the alloytec, but on ecos and V8`s the steering fluid is cooled via a rudimentary cooler at the front of the radiator, its not really a cooler but a pipe circuit that runs infront of the radiator and back.

13125d1141283838-auto-cooler-ps-cooler-pipe-small-.jpg

JesseK

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ ute 3.6L
Not sure if they changed anything on the alloytec, but on ecos and V8`s the steering fluid is cooled via a rudimentary cooler at the front of the radiator, its not really a cooler but a pipe circuit that runs infront of the radiator and back.

13125d1141283838-auto-cooler-ps-cooler-pipe-small-.jpg

Thats what my car has. I still don't know what the issue could be. possibly because I didn't bleed the air straight away?

JesseK

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ ute 3.6L
Just called my old mechanic. He said it can happen due to cold weather which can clog up the PS fluid hose.. I basically need a new one and nothing I did in regards to installing the new radiator contributed to this issue.

Thanks everyone for your help and taking time to reply to this thread.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I've done a similar thing on a vy b4 as in changed the radiator and had the power steering squealing like a bitch after wards , it turned out I'd cracked the plastic reservoir while changing the radiator the reservoir didn't appear to be leaking, hard to tell thou while its covered in fluid.