Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote Key 'Timeout' issue?

adza7

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Hi,

I've got a strange issue with my car. (WL Statesman).

Both of my key remotes work fine when approaching my car. I can unlock and lock again no problems at all.

However, after starting my car and driving a short distance, when I stop the car and exit - the keys will not work to lock the car. If I wait a while or lock the car manually and come back after a while - they are working again.

I have tried with two separate keys - same issue. It seems as though there is a period after driving the car where it will not receive commands from my key remote for a certain time.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this behavior before, or could give an indication as to what might be happening?

This symptom occurs every time, regardless of the location of the car, so I believe I can eliminate environmental issues.

Cheers

Adz

adza7

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Thanks Conrod. Not original, one of them less than 2 years. The problem appears to be too consistent to be a battery / power issue. (Same symptoms for weeks now - exactly the same time). They only fail after I have driven the car for more than a few minutes, parked and exited the vehicle. But then they only fail within a few minutes time period, and then it all works like clockwork again.

All buttons fail during this black period. (Lock / Unlock and Boot).

adza7

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Maybe this might help someone else down the track. I've managed to find a work around:

My car was set to 2 stage unlock. (Drivers door first, and then the other doors).

I've noticed that if I change it to single stage unlock (all doors at once) then the anomaly seems to go away. I don't need to wait a few minutes after driving the car before the keys are recognised.

Very strange. The problem is definitely not related to the keys. (Multiple keys, same pattern, same problem) - and appears to be directly related to timing after driving the car, and the state of the locks.

Interesting to note that when the anomaly is present (car will not lock / unlock) also the boot button fails to work as well.

Hopefully the single stage unlock will continue to be a workaround to the issue.

But does anyone know if there is any sort of sensor on the drivers door that is linked to a 'remote lockout' that might be malfunctioning that might cause such a problem?