Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Taking the Adventra around the country - any suggestions?

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
Hi All,

I have a V6 VZ Adventra and I am planning on driving around the country.

I am getting her ready for the trek and want to double check that I haven't forgotten to service something. She's done a 115k kms so she is almost due her major service. I plan to replace all fluids and oils (brake, power steering, coolant, diff's, transfer case, engine oil, transmission oil). Change all filters (oil, fuel, air, transmission), change spark plugs and replace drive belts. I am also putting on some new tires as the ones I have now are almost due to be replaced anyway - thinking Bridgestone Ecopia EP100.

I am also thinking about replacing the radiator. I know these radiators have a history of splitting at the plastic tanks, so I might change it just to be on the safe side. Can't decide to put in a full aluminium radiator or just get another original from Holden.

I will also be carrying with me replacement hoses and tools to do repairs. I don't plan on going off-road and if I do, maybe a gravel road or too. I plan to stay on the sealed roads. I will also be carrying with me a few cans of tire-weld, 20 litres of fuel, 10 litres of water etc (not that I think I will need them). I will also take replacement bulbs and fuses just in case, but again I don't think these will be too much of a problem. I have thought about bringing a replacement fuel pump with me, but since I have to drop the fuel tank to replace it (I think), I am not sure I will be able to do that sort of repair on the road - so I also have organised Australia wide roadside assist.

Any suggestions on what else I should service or items I should carry with me? I will be travelling around for about 4.5 months and not going too far from civilisation so I can't imagine it will be too hard to get help if anything goes wrong.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer :idea3:

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Are you doing the service and fluid changes yourself?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Done the timing chain? Alloytecs love to chomp them.

I'd be looking at something a little more all terrain-ish for tyres imo. Even tho your planning on only sticking to sealed roads, the sealed roads aren't always the best and imo a tyre more geared for all terrain would be a little tougher and hard wearing.

Dezzle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LX8 Adventra
I'd also strongly consider changing the heater tap and maybe thermostat.

Might be worth taking some good silicone self amalgamating tape and gaff tape as well.

Are your brake pads and discs in good nick?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
ffs - you are doing what - 10,000km???
meh, no different to a normal interval between services except you will probably have less heat cycles so it'll probably be more reliable. As you have mentioned, just run a normal service and make sure they/you do the normal checks and off you go.

Just make sure you belong to a nationally recognised auto club with roadside service.

Edit: You might wanna knock up one of these: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/pub/128163-pic-day-read-rules-first-post-228.html#post2758011

Last edited:

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
If you are doing the service yourself here are some notes - cherry pick away:

Power Steering - flush with Dexron and replace reservoir

Diffs - use good quality synthetic 80W—140, HN2040 spec

Transfer case
  • Flush - several times until clean. Fill up drive around the block and drain. Can use Dexron for flushing (but not for final fill)
  • Fill - Recommended is Castrol BOT 338 or Esso MTF—LT—1 . Holden will sell you the oil for $25-30 for 250ml (one fill).
    Alternatives: Royal Purple Synchromax (BOT-338 & MTF-LT-1 compliant) or Penrite Pro Gear 70W-75 (BOT-338 compliant)
  • Once full - rotate drive shafts and top up transfer case
  • Do not use Dexron for final fill.

Transmission

Other things
  1. Spare radiator cap
  2. Lower front air intake has no grill - fabricate one from mesh (can be bought at autoparts store) SCA Universal Mesh - Black, 1200 x 280mm - Supercheap Auto Australia
  3. Get a ODBII adapter Bluetooth (for Android) or Wi-Fi (for Apple) and put a copy of Dash Commander on your tablet and use the Adventra v6 skin (thanks to routier1642)

Oh, and have fun on your drive!

HTH, Nick

Last edited:
D

Don123

I think you're over doing it way too much, you might as well put a brand new engine in it or buy a new car instead.

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
Cheers everyone,

Appreciate all your suggestions, I will do most of the work with my brother's help, we've worked on cars since we were teenagers. Always a hard call as to how far to go with taking precautions and then not preparing enough. I am not anticipating a lot of problems the car has been extremely reliable.

Big thanks to Nick for your post, really appreciate it.

With any luck I will be back before Christmas, hopefully the car will be too LOL!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If you have a well serviced car, a lap of the map should not be a problem.
My tip, take 2 matching spare wheels. If you don't, you will need them. If you do, they won't even get touched. ( Murphy's Law )
Are you towing anything ?

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
I'd just check everythings at the right level, only do the fluids that are due , then do a service at the 5000 kay mark.

If anything take a spare air filter if you're doing alot dusty roads plus an extra spare if dirt roading.

If you're are doing alot of dirt roading , you might want to run steel rims instead of alloys, run 16's and you'll get a good tyre choice.

I think we all want to gear up like we're taking on the apocalypse, but it just ends up 300kg of dead weight guzzerling fuel

Pack the basics plus tow gear, do ongoing preventative checks and maintenance, replace or repair as needed.

It's Oz, just gear up at a major town if you really go offtrack, take an EPIRD or PLB Spot do a good one.

Talk to the nomads as you go, as they love to bestow their knowledge on people.

A UHF Radio would be a good addition.

Are you starting in Perth and which way are you going ? post pics.