Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 Sedan Wheel Castor Adjustment

Growley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Hey Guys,
I had a front wheel alignment in March & had to take it back 3 times on the same day as it kept veering to the left (about 1 lane every 3 car lengths). Gave up & took it to a different tyre place 2 or 3 weeks ago. They said they couldn't fix it as they had no mechanic on duty that day but said the front left wheel was at max castor & there was no further adjustment available as it was already adjusted to the maximum. Where is the castor angle adjusted? I assume it's somewhere on the strut? Will I probably need to replace it or can something else be out of whack? (tie rods, sway bar links etc).

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Firstly, there is no factory caster adjustment with these cars, however you can buy aftermarket radius rod bushes, which allow for caster adjustment.

What I suspect is wrong with your car is, the radius rod (also called a Z-bar) on the left hand side is straightened out....this causes the front wheel to be pushed back towards the back of the car. The reason the left one is the main culprit, is the left hand wheel is the furtherest forward. The main cause is by hitting gutters or even shopping centre concrete blocks front on, with the wheels.

To see if this is the issue, get your fingers and place them between the back of the right front wheel and the guard....Then see if you can fit more or less fingers at the same spot with the left front. If you can't fit more, the radius rod (Z-bar) needs replacing.....If you can come back on here and we'll discuss it further

Growley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Thanks for your reply. What you say makes sense as when I bought it last december, the front left rim had really severe gutter rash. Ill check & report back.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Would require a decent hit to bend a radius rod.

It could be stuffed bushes or any number or reasons as to why wandering left however the alignment place should have been able to tell you exactly why it is doing it.

Do you have a print out of the before/after adjustments so you can see the actual settings/measurements?

Although the factory configuration in theory has no scope for adjustment it is possible to pack spacers in behind the front radius rod bush to alter the caster(reduce).

Growley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
To see if this is the issue, get your fingers and place them between the back of the right front wheel and the guard....Then see if you can fit more or less fingers at the same spot with the left front. If you can't fit more, the radius rod (Z-bar) needs replacing.....If you can come back on here and we'll discuss it further

I can fit 3 fat fingers on the drivers side & 4 on the passenger side. To clarify, when you say left do you mean the driver or passenger side?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Get under and give it a visual comparison side to side. While rare, it has been known for the z-bar attachment point to snap completely out of the k-frame.

Growley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Everything looks OK to my untrained eye. I've attached a few pics to see if anyone can see something that looks out of place. Note the new steering rack boot & tie rod which was installed as part of the original visit to the tyre place.

UDE0TEq.jpg
kJrUn2i.jpg
oG8t0sU.jpg

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Those look to be nolothane branded adjustable castor bushes. Could be worth checking the shims are in the correct order.

Growley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Those look to be nolothane branded adjustable castor bushes. Could be worth checking the shims are in the correct order.

I think they look like the standard Holden bushes. Pic 1 is from the Holden manual & Pic 2 is from the Nolathane website. The Holden mounting plate has 4 mounting points & the Nolathane ones have 6. Or are these perhaps older style Nolathane bushes?

Pic 1
diEIu2e.png

Pic 2
Nolathane 48166 Front Radius/strut rod - to chassis bushing
FmlZj4I.png

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Seeing you can fit 4 fingers on the left and 3 on the right, this indicates to me, the caster is fine....this is providing you placed the fingers between the rear of the wheel and the mudguard.

If you have an alignment report, post this up, as it might be a camber issue causing the pull.

Another thing to check is tyre pressure....Are they even? You could also swap the front tyres left to right and see if that solves the issue