Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear tyre wear

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Hey guys,

Just a quick one, unfortunately don't have any pics, but the rears on my VZ have worn very unevenly. They are basically completely bald (~0.2mm tread depth) on the inside, but the outside is much less worn, easily 3-4mm tread depth. Same on both tyres. They are about 10-11 months old.

Any ideas on what needs to happen to fix this so that the next set of rears wear move evenly?

They are VX GTS 19's - 245/35/19
King SL springs all round but still FE2 shocks

Cheers

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
when you lower the car the rear camber needs to be re-adjusted to suit, good wheel aligner should be able to do this, IRS on commodores is notorious for this if you don't rotate your wheels regularly, you may need new camber kit aswell

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
when you lower the car the rear camber needs to be re-adjusted to suit, good wheel aligner should be able to do this, IRS on commodores is notorious for this if you don't rotate your wheels regularly, you may need new camber kit aswell

Cheers for the reply. I gotta sort out a very slight buckle in my rears anyway so I might chuck my stockies on the rear and get the buckle fixed then I can get new tyres and rotate the fronts to the rear and put the new tyres up front. Will see if I can get the rear camber adjusted, although I've been told by someone else not much can be done on a VZ and I should just rotate em more.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Cheers for the reply. I gotta sort out a very slight buckle in my rears anyway so I might chuck my stockies on the rear and get the buckle fixed then I can get new tyres and rotate the fronts to the rear and put the new tyres up front. Will see if I can get the rear camber adjusted, although I've been told by someone else not much can be done on a VZ and I should just rotate em more.

Wife's VZ Sedan did the same on SL's.
I had to rotate the tyres on the rims every 5000.
Her VZ was on 20" low profiles and She did not keep the air up to the tyres, so she chewed out 3 tyres before I raised the car back up again.

riSScky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 & VE SII SS MY12
There's not much you can do about the rear camber. Just have it adjusted so the rears are pointing 'toe in' slightly and that should help even out the tread wear.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
To go the rear camber, you need to have an aftermarket camber kit fitted.....Also rotating the tyres more reguarly, will help prolong the tyre life

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Cheers for the replies guys.

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
I run King Ultra Lows all round on 235/40/18 and my rear wear is fine but have a Nolathane camber kit fitted. Aligns to within camber spec anyway.