Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz alloytec timing chain problem

heisenburg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumia
Hey guys

Just looking for some info on people who have spent more time around the v6 alloytecs or had this problem . My vz was making a rattling noise at idle and the check oil light would come on.. But only when stoped or taking off ,, as soon as your moving the light goes off and the engine goes back to normal .. So I did some research and found out it's a common problem so I brought new primary chain and 1 secondary chain and fitted it myself today as well as new primary Tentioner and guides ( on top of it being a huge job there was no sludge anywhere under the front cover or under the rocker covers . The cams where fine as was the oil pump) so after putting it all back together it Sounded and looked like I had fixed the problem until about a few hours after driving it has gone back to doing it again! I'm using 10w-40 oil .. Anyone got any susgestions ? It's starting to be a huge drama

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Have you run a Tech 2 over it - it can give codes to indicate what is not working correctly. The Chains issue has a specific code for left and right banks.

heisenburg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumia
No I haven't I couldn't think of a reason I needed to.. Only cause Holden charges a stupid amount to use there's .. What could it tell me?

JarBro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
U went to all that trouble but only replaced 1 secondary chain ? -

Perhaps it was the otherside with the problem :)

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
There was a thread in the VE section a few months ago where someone did same (replaced the chains) and also found the noise was back after replacing the chains. The end result of the thread was that the OP found out that oil pump is common issue behind this problem, he replaced the oil pump and then all was good. How did verify the oil pump was good? It seems at least some dealers (maybe all) replace the oil pump as part of doing this job.