Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission/Radiator - Need some advice

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Hi guys,

So another saga with my car.

For a while now, i've had a butt tonne of issues with this thing.

2 Years ago i had the transmission die and had to have it rebuilt, since then there has been a weird performance issue.

2 months ago, the engine blew head gasket and so i got a 2nd hand engine swapped out.

I've taken the to a mechanic and transmission place for the performance issue and most recently the transmission has been playing up (or seeminlgy)

Recently the transmission (i presume) it making a rumbling noise and losing all power once i get around 60km/h + roughly when it seems to be around 4th or 5th (overdrive) and the car lacks power during this time, revs on the odo blip up and down during this rumbling.

I took the car back 2-3 times to the same transmission place who did the rebuilt, they said the fluid looked fine and the issue didn't present itself during him driving it.

On Friday driving to work, my car started to steam a little bit and the transmission feeling more sluggish, i ended up pulling over, popping the bonnet to steam and strawberry milkshake all over the place.

Turns out, the internals of the transmission cooler in the radiator has busted and now trans and coolant have mixed along with this pressure causing the top radiator hose to bust open, hence the spray all over the engine bay.

After getting it towed to the mechanic, he states i'm atleast up for $800 for a new radiator, hose, coolant and trans flush and new fluids in both along with trans filter.

Mechanic states, there is no way to tell if the transmission is stuffed by this until he does the work.

I'm worried about paying the $800 to then have the transmission blow up and it actually being the cause of the problem with the radiator.

Needing some advice guys, do i:

1. Pay the $800 in hope the radiator issue was causing the pre-existing transmission issue
2. Give up as the transmission itself pressurized and caused the radiator to split (meaning i'd be up for a transmission repair anyway)
3. Give up as the whole radiator issue has caused too much damage to the transmission
4. Chuck the towel in, tow the car home, pull it apart & sell what i can to get money to get a cheap car.

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Option 4 is a bit dramatic, what the mechanic said sounds plausable, or if ur handy with the tools do the repair yourself, its pretty simple if u have a repair manual

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Option 4 is a bit dramatic, what the mechanic said sounds plausable, or if ur handy with the tools do the repair yourself, its pretty simple if u have a repair manual

I unfortunately don't have the tools nor necessary ramps, etc to be able to drop the trans pan, etc that's needed to do it.

It's a little dramatic but this $12000 car (that i paid at the time) has cost me $11,000 in repairs in the 5 years i've had it.

I'm going to ponder on it and then make a decision.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
replace the top hose flush the cooling system fit an external trans cooler and see what happens next . what colour is the oil on the trans dipstick red or strawberry thick shake .

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
radiator 150, coolant 50, trans kit 50, 20 litres atf for flush and refill, hr to change radiator, hr to service box, 1 hr to flush, change radiator and refill, there is a thread here on flushing box, someone may recommended a sequence for this as do you do rad first then flush etc

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
replace the top hose flush the cooling system fit an external trans cooler and see what happens next . what colour is the oil on the trans dipstick red or strawberry thick shake .

This is the 5-Speed auto, there is no trans dipstick, its all sealed unit.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
radiator 150, coolant 50, trans kit 50, 20 litres atf for flush and refill, hr to change radiator, hr to service box, 1 hr to flush, change radiator and refill, there is a thread here on flushing box, someone may recommended a sequence for this as do you do rad first then flush etc

I unfortunately don't have any ramps, etc to be able to get the car up high enough to even drop the transmission pan out nor the tools :(

I've spoken with the mechanic and come to an arrangement, he's going to give me a call back.

This whole thing feels like a massive gamble though.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
unit isn't sealed- how did they get the fluid in, there's a plug on the trans with a spring clip that you remove and fill to the top

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
unit isn't sealed- how did they get the fluid in, there's a plug on the trans with a spring clip that you remove and fill to the top

Sealed only in regards to having no dipstick to easily check fluid levels.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Picked up the car today. It drives much better! Mechanic said to bring it back in 3 weeks for another flush as the cooling system still has some stuff in it and they'll do another quick check on the trans aswell.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk