Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine temp hot / Check powertrain

VZ04SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 A5 IMPULSE BLUE
About a month ago, my radiator side tank let go on my 04 sv6 auto and I had a new radiator fitted.(was about 150k from home of course). Today I'm driving along about 40k from home and I get the engine temp warning...the temp guage is through the roof so I pull over. The fans were running with the engine shut off but no sign of leaks. There was no phone reception for miles so I limped a few minutes to a friends place and as I drove, the engine was steadily slowing and I started getting the powertrain message. I left my car and went to work, when I came back I checked the coolant and it was full! I topped up the reservoir as it seemed low and checked the engine oil which was okay. I started the car and got the check powertrain warning but all the hoses and radiator seemed fine. The temperature stayed low so I drove the 40k home with no problems at all.Engine sounded strong and temperature stayed low. Anyone had a similar experience? Not sure what's going on...

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Highly likely thermostat has **** itself. Its a pain to get to on the alloytech engine.

We had a work car that did it intermittently until thermostat was replaced then problem solved. Powertrain message would have been because it was entering limp mode- They do have a clever system to shut down cylinders when overheating in an effort to avoid damage.

VZ04SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 A5 IMPULSE BLUE
Highly likely thermostat has **** itself. Its a pain to get to on the alloytech engine.

We had a work car that did it intermittently until thermostat was replaced then problem solved. Powertrain message would have been because it was entering limp mode- They do have a clever system to shut down cylinders when overheating in an effort to avoid damage.

Thanks Mate, that makes sense. Weird it didn't overheat later in the day when I drove home...must be on it's way out and not totally stuffed yet like the work car you described.The only thing I can't work out was a large puddle of water under the car when I first drove it and the reservoir was empty but not the engine coolant. Yeah; the limp home mode probably saved my engine : )

Last edited:

mikzmixify

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore executive
About a month ago, my radiator side tank let go on my 04 sv6 auto and I had a new radiator fitted.(was about 150k from home of course). Today I'm driving along about 40k from home and I get the engine temp warning...the temp guage is through the roof so I pull over. The fans were running with the engine shut off but no sign of leaks. There was no phone reception for miles so I limped a few minutes to a friends place and as I drove, the engine was steadily slowing and I started getting the powertrain message. I left my car and went to work, when I came back I checked the coolant and it was full! I topped up the reservoir as it seemed low and checked the engine oil which was okay. I started the car and got the check powertrain warning but all the hoses and radiator seemed fine. The temperature stayed low so I drove the 40k home with no problems at all.Engine sounded strong and temperature stayed low. Anyone had a similar experience? Not sure what's going on...
hey mate i'm having the same problem, i rang up RAA cos i had overheating issues they said might be the radiator. so bought a brand new radiator & installed it. start the engine and it's still overheating. i've done my research they said it's my thermostat. i'm loosing coolant in my reservoir and blowing white smoke. check the oil dipstick looks fine but brownish. you think i have blown head gasket

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
hey mate i'm having the same problem, i rang up RAA cos i had overheating issues they said might be the radiator. so bought a brand new radiator & installed it. start the engine and it's still overheating. i've done my research they said it's my thermostat. i'm loosing coolant in my reservoir and blowing white smoke. check the oil dipstick looks fine but brownish. you think i have blown head gasket

I reckon after 7 years, he would have fixed the problem...That or the motor would be stuffed driving it for that length of time with a stuffed head gasket

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Brown oil - usually means water mixed with it. Do a compression test and prepare to pull it down to replace the head gasket. While you are at it you can check/replace the thermostat. Best to only raise one thread per issue and as I mentioned in your other post start a new thread if you need support - raising one that is all but dead doesn't help you much.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Reactions: Lex