Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Total loss of power. All lights, dash lights, radio etc turn off then back on again.

robfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Hi Guys,
My VZ has started cutting out. It totally losses power, incl radio, dash, lights ect, then comes back on. It can start to do this when switching hi beam to normal beam, but also just randomly too.
I have checked battery terminals, ran a fault code check - just came up service due soon, abs fault (had just changed front brakes, but they seem to be working fine), but had started cutting out before I changed the brakes.
The car starts fine, but after a short drive up the road for 1 min, started to cut out.
When it first did this, I sprayed battery terminals with wd40, then next day was fine with no issues at all, but day after cut out only once. Then yesterday after checking all brakes etc, cleaning and re-attaching battery terminals, cut out after 1 min of driving 5-6 times in a row.
Diagnostic check - switch volts 5v , battery 12v. After starting car battery then 14v
Was thinking might be the Crank Angle Sensor?, and suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Hi Guys,
My VZ has started cutting out. It totally losses power, incl radio, dash, lights ect, then comes back on. It can start to do this when switching hi beam to normal beam, but also just randomly too.
I have checked battery terminals, ran a fault code check - just came up service due soon, abs fault (had just changed front brakes, but they seem to be working fine), but had started cutting out before I changed the brakes.
The car starts fine, but after a short drive up the road for 1 min, started to cut out.
When it first did this, I sprayed battery terminals with wd40, then next day was fine with no issues at all, but day after cut out only once. Then yesterday after checking all brakes etc, cleaning and re-attaching battery terminals, cut out after 1 min of driving 5-6 times in a row.
Diagnostic check - switch volts 5v , battery 12v. After starting car battery then 14v
Was thinking might be the Crank Angle Sensor?, and suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

CAS wont cause total power loss

ilia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
When you say "it totally losses power" you mean just electrical issues or the engine cuts out as well?
Have you checked the engine grounding points and alternator connections?

robfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
When you say "it totally losses power" you mean just electrical issues or the engine cuts out as well?
Have you checked the engine grounding points and alternator connections?

Hi, The electrics all go off and the engine cuts out, but only for a second, then comes back on including engine still going, and can do this up to 5-6 times in a row. Has also lost all electrics, and cut engine out without it restarting too.

Fault code check (wire in 5 & 6 pin holes), comes up - Service vehicle soon, - Fuel gauge error contact dealer, - ABS fault.

Car was fine today, didn't drive very far, although did have Check power train come up yesterday and today, but just checked alternator connections (all good from what I can see) and took for a drive down the road, check power train didn't come on, and car was fine.

I spoke to an Auto electrician who thought might be an issue with the key & barrel, or ignition switch? (I did get a new key and ignition barrel 2-3 months ago). I wiggled the ignition switch wires last night, and hasn't cut out since then, so maybe that was the issue?.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
You need a scan tool to check codes on a VZ so that's probably your best starting point. If alternator and battery connections are all ok then yes I'd definitely be investigating ignition barrel, sounds like the car is just 'turning off'.

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
make sure battery connections on both ends are good.
the codes listed are from a power loss

robfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
make sure battery connections on both ends are good.
the codes listed are from a power loss[/QUOT

The missus drove car short distance today with no issues.

I just drove it tonight, again only short distance, and when I turned Hi-beam on, it cut out. Then when I got home, sat in car port flicking hi beam on/off/on/off and every time it momentarily cut out.

Could it be the battery?, or battery connections causing this? or another electrical fault?.

What about a faulty Hi-Beam relay?.

I will try taking out the hi-beam relay and see if that fixes the issue?

Last edited:

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
given the knowledge provided from your posts, you need a professional to have a look and methodically diagnose otherwise your guessing.

Sizzln

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Calais
My WL stato was doing this too. I replaced the battery and it's been fine ever since. If you have access to a multimeter put it on the battery terminals when you crank the car over and see how low the voltage gets as it kicks over. You said in your initial post battery voltage was 12 volts. It should be higher than that with the engine running.

TEGBOY

Reaction score
My VZ was doing a similar thing - Showing the same symptoms.
Turned out the plug on the key barrel was loose and moved and causing intermittant connection, a small dab of superglue on the plug sorted that.