Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tips for buying an VZ V8 with over 200,000km

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
if the car has over 200,000km what should i look out for?
are the 4l65e's a reliable box? more so then the 4l60e

high km's don't bother me at all, i can do all repairs myself and will only be doing 5,000km a year in it for trips and towing

the old VX 3.8 is just too under powered for towing and lugging a full load around on trips with a boat on the back

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Any vehicle with 200,000 (or so) km that has not been well maintained and or serviced will very quickly show any faults when towing. Before buying said vehicle, suggest you get an independent report - perhaps through your Auto Club (NRMA< RACV< RAA etc) if a member. Good luck.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Very hard to say, being used you really have no idea what's happened. People say the 4l60e is unreliable, but then my father inlaw has a VS with 350k on it, had maybe 2 services on it and tows a trailer daily and flogs it, still changes and goes fine. Then again a gramps VZ I've seen fail in 60k. Go figure. I would highly recommend a seperate trans cooler, heat is the worst thing for autos. Drive it till it starts failing then you can install a heavy duty auto that will last.
Ensure the fluid is nice and red, no water and oil mixing, good service history.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
i have had my current VX 5 years and done 50,000km mostly in the first few years, replaced heaps of worn out parts too
i got to know it pretty well
if it was a 3.8 with 200,000km i wouldn't hesitate but I have never owned an LS1, just curious how they hold up
my last few Falcon V8's had between 200 and 360km and they ran great its just the suspension and autos' then let them down

i'm the only non mechanic in my family (apart from my mum) so inspections are covered

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
If it's got a good service history it should see you well into 300k. The ls1 can develope lifter and ticking Noises, but from new the LS motors are quite noisy. But also at any point something could fail prematurely.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Thought this might help you out, bought my VX 5.7 with 180,000km on it with stuffed auto.
Installed 6L VZ auto with ~ 140,000km on it (had it serviced at the same time) and have since been towing big arse heavy loads, etc for last 5 years on an off, its now 295,000km and going strong, however just need to replace engine gaskets, but auto is still sweet.

Never had an issue with it, don't even have a trans cooler, and I have towed interstate in summer. But of course I don't flog the absolute crap out of it, do burnouts or any of that stuff.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Pay to get a pre purchase inspection done, and if any faults are found, barter the price down or get the seller/dealer to repair it/them.