Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolent leak.

fozzy1980

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vz sv6 my06 ute
Hey guys, i have a vz sv6 and ive noticed im using a bit of coolent. Cant really find leak hey. Only tiny keak over heater vacuum pump an no real bubbles in cooling system anymore.
Also i woukd run it, coolent woukd run threw goose next, put lid on 2min later no water running threw goose neck, so i keep toppining it up.
Any of you guys had this type of problem before? Cheers

killerkoala

Reaction score
Members Ride
6L WM Caprice, (2x) VZ Crewman S
Is it overheating when the waters coming out? (I'm not trying to be smart!!) I'm trying to resolve a water loss problem in my vz v6 crewman (230k). Short story long: had it checked and pressure cleaned/tested as precautionary measure before driving 5000 km in north west WA. No problems before. Week later drove with an empty 6x4 trailer on cold winter night and it boiled and spewed water. Took it back, pressure tested, they couldn't find anything wrong. Told to check and top up waterfor a few days but if it still needs water after that then bring it back. Week later, 4 days before big drive I take it back. Told radiator and water pump need replacing cos of age/kms and some staining under pump. Did the drive no dramas, 3 kids, tray and roof chock a block of camping/traveling gear. Week after I'm back, had the same issue while pulling a trailer. I was told before that thermostat might need doing, very expensive cos of location and need the gearbox dropping to access. Read a post on here giving detailed instructions how to change it without dropping the box. Bought a new GM thermostat and housing for $70, am on my way to the shed to do the job now!!
I'll let you know how it goes.....

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Hey guys, i have a vz sv6 and ive noticed im using a bit of coolent. Cant really find leak hey. Only tiny keak over heater vacuum pump an no real bubbles in cooling system anymore.
Also i woukd run it, coolent woukd run threw goose next, put lid on 2min later no water running threw goose neck, so i keep toppining it up.
Any of you guys had this type of problem before? Cheers

Coolant Leak?

On the Alloytec start with the easy things:
1) bleed the radiator when you fill it up, top right hand side of the radiator
2) check the spring clamps around the hoses - I found one was leaking, but don't remove the spring clip, move it down the hose and add a band style hose clamp
3) replace the heater valve, it's cheap and takes about 5-10 minutes to replace

Many threads on how exactly to do these in here.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
if the heater tap is leaking even a little bit it will bring air into the system causing the radiator system to purge coolant out the overflow bottle.