Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alloytec timing chain

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have a rattle (diesel like ) that I have heard twice now and seems to be only when the engine is hot and has been running for about half a hour.Engine has 180 k and has had the dreaded sludge pickup problem and was fixed about 10k ago.
This noise doesnt seem oil pressure related and and it has no warning lights coming up and drives fine apart from the rattle .
If you drive it for 15 mins from cold it has no noises . wtf? I know it has a lot of kms on it but it has been looked after and runs fine.
Any ideas? Is this typical of a stretched timing chain?
Also if I was to replace the chains what kit is best ? as there are a few to choose from on ebay...some offer cogs ...some dont...some offer aftermarket tensioners ...some factory what is better?

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
If you do the chain you might consider doing the oil pump as well. There was a thread in the VE section some time ago where the OP had timing chain rattle - replaced the chain, but still had the rattle. Then found out that oil pump can be the problem - replaced the oil pump all good.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
sometimes the pump can be the problem , and not the chain , as above not sure how you'd go about checking that though .

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I have no experience with your specific problem, however, I do have experience buying parts and I would suggest a phone call to Zupps parts at Aspley for a price.

Talk to Mark, always helpful. 3246 8017

I have no association with Zupps in any way.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Ok took the tappet covers off and found this...top chains no play and tight as with 180kms on engine but this sludge wtf?

I have done the sump pickup about 6 months ago but what do I do with this?
I have always done oil changes at the manufacturers recommended interval (now i know is too much) but I cant believe this
Funny thing is the engine runs fine ...hardly a noise normally and no loss of power over normal...just this rattle lately (has happenned only once) and it hasnt again.
Does the oil drain only to the front to the timing covers so if I if I took the cams out can I scrape this **** off and pick/clean it out and it wont fall down to the sump if I block off the entry?

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
ok took the timing cover off and because the heads were sludged up wasnt shocked by what I found

cleaned it all up

checked out the chain kit options and mace engineering offers a good option with factory chains and tensioners aftermarket guides in their kit and a cheaper new pump made in the us and worth considering ...just wondered if anyone else has use this pump or this kit

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Exactly what oil/s and viscosity have you been using over you time changing it in that engine? Filter every time as well?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Ok took the tappet covers off and found this...top chains no play and tight as with 180kms on engine but this sludge wtf?

I have done the sump pickup about 6 months ago but what do I do with this?
I have always done oil changes at the manufacturers recommended interval (now i know is too much) but I cant believe this
Funny thing is the engine runs fine ...hardly a noise normally and no loss of power over normal...just this rattle lately (has happenned only once) and it hasnt again.
Does the oil drain only to the front to the timing covers so if I if I took the cams out can I scrape this **** off and pick/clean it out and it wont fall down to the sump if I block off the entry?

I seriously doubt that that has been serviced according log books , looking at it I'd say it has missed a couple .

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Manufacturer's recommended oil change interval is often inadequate. Try every 6 months or 7,500 - 10,000 km i.e. oil AND filter. Make sure that the oil you use is by reputable manufacturer and the oil type strictly in accordance with Holden's recommendations. You could also consider using an Engine Oil Flush component at EACH oil change.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
I seriously doubt that that has been serviced according log books , looking at it I'd say it has missed a couple .

I got the car at around 60000 and at that stage it had the service book filled out so it had been followed to the recommended time and was done at a holden dealership and I went with that not knowing what dramas that was the interval was creating....every 15000 and everything was good up to about 175000 but had the oil pickup clog and got to it in time took sump off and cleaned everything and fixed it and thought id do the services to 10000 interval and hoped that would stop the sludge returning. But this time at 184000 ,something has clogged a passage for a tensioner and the chain started rattling but it happenned only once ....no warning lights just a noise.
Next day it was fine..... noise gone... So for about a week I did short trips and no noise still but finally I decided to take the valve covers off to make a call on going any further ...found this so I pulled it all apart..what a mess. Always did the filter and used genuine oil everytime up to about 2 services ago and changed to nulon 5w-30 synthetic api rated.
As far as I can tell i didnt do anything wrong to bring this on.
Has holden altered its service procedure with the vf?

Last edited: