Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

04 Monaro vs 04 Clubsport

Dammzyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I am buying a new daily very shortly and for the longest time I have loved both the Monaro and the Clubsport models. Re-sale and cost of running is not to be involved in any thoughts - this will be my baby for some time.

All I really want to know is performance wise, are the Monaro and the Clubsport any different? I assume the Monaro would way less, therefore going faster, quicker but not sure if there is any difference with the motors, or if any natural mods are done. Comparisons to be done with both at stock. Thanks for anyone that helps.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Pretty sure the Monaro is heavier, and only comes in LS1. Get a VZ Clubby & it will come with a 6L. I'd go the clubby, no second thought about it.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I have an 02 model of each, I prefer each in different ways but if you twisted my arm I'd keep the Monaro - also the Monaro easily holds more value longer.

Oh and the Monaro should out-handle the Clubby, it's shorter and a bit lighter.

Most Clubsports though come with a few more ponies from the factory - they are pretty evenly matched in that regard.

Dunno about 04 but 02 the biggest difference is probably headers, I could be wrong but I think the gearing is better on the HSV as well.

My Monaro is better appointed too (8 way electric leather seats driver and passenger, dual zone climate, better wipers, etc) - you'd have to go GTS I'd say to get the same level of appointment inside.

Driving on the open road you don't appreciate it unless you do drive one but the Monaro has a bigger more raked windscreen - this means that window open you don't get that wind blowing in your face, there's so many little things that make it my favourite of the 2.

Monaro is waaaaaay more sexy too, looks don't even compare - people are kind of overwhelmed with fakesports everywhere to the point they kind of think of the Clubby as "common" even though they aren't as common as you might think.

So in summation

Monaro
better equipment
nicer to drive
looks
value
handling
easier to wash because it's smaller (lol).

Clubby
bit more power
possibly gearing
erm

YMMV with regards to the 04 but some of that stuff will not vary....

Last edited:

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Monaro.

I may be biased but it's just that little bit more special than the clubby.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I would go the Monaro as it has almost a perfect 50/50 weight distribution, the will equate to better handling and overall feel of the vehicle.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
So you guys don't think the 6L is worth it over the LS1? If they were both LS1 I'd go the Monaro any day, wanted a CV8 for a long time. Depends if the OP is more interested in power of looks.
Very nice summary mpower.

Specs I found online show the Monaro as about 1695 kg and the clubby about 1650 kg, about the same as an SS - not sure how accurate this is though.
Clubby would also have a 3.7 in manual if I'm not mistaken, not sure about the auto.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
So you guys don't think the 6L is worth it over the LS1? If they were both LS1 I'd go the Monaro any day, wanted a CV8 for a long time. Depends if the OP is more interested in power of looks.
Very nice summary mpower.

If someone is that dead set on a particular engine, just put it in the Monaro. It's much easier to do an engine swap than a body swap :p

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Why stop at 6L if you were doing an engine change? :p

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
To me there's more than the 6L vs LS1.

Depends on your priorities.