Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help urgently

burlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2 s
I just bought a vz one tonner v6. Come home and switched engine off then went to start again and all electrics played up and carried right on horn started to beep quietly then slowly got louder and louder then alarm went off. Stopped when i pressed the key. It starts fine now but has high pitched whistling sound coming from the rear driver side of engine bay and stramge smell in the cab. When you turn the engine off it keeps whistling then slowly changes sound and goes away. Have no idea what it could be hoping somebody could help.would be much appreciated. Thanks

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Cannot guarantee 100% without seeing in person, but the whistling sound is possibly the brake booster needs an overhaul. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I have come across in the past.
As for the electrical issue check the basics first.
battery terminals clean & tight
any body earths clean & tight
Under bonnet fuse & relay panel clean, no dodgy relays, no ants in there
If that all checks out get it scanned for any fault codes or find a good auto electrician
Good luck with it

burlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2 s
Cannot guarantee 100% without seeing in person, but the whistling sound is possibly the brake booster needs an overhaul. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I have come across in the past.
As for the electrical issue check the basics first.
battery terminals clean & tight
any body earths clean & tight
Under bonnet fuse & relay panel clean, no dodgy relays, no ants in there
If that all checks out get it scanned for any fault codes or find a good auto electrician
Good luck with it

Thanks mate. I turned the temperature switch to warm and it stopped. Only whistles when right on cold now. Doesnt do it one notch away from cold. Any idea what this is?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I'm no expert but could be something to do with the A/C controls, I think from memory they switch back and forth using vacuum ?????????????????
I could be totally wrong too. Hopefully someone can verify this or has seen or fixed this before and can help you out.
Hope you get it sorted. The Tonners are a sweet ride

Last edited:

plane driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan Alloytec
Thanks mate. I turned the temperature switch to warm and it stopped. Only whistles when right on cold now. Doesnt do it one notch away from cold. Any idea what this is?
The temperature knob opens and closes the vacuum path for the heater tap. As soon as you turn it about one notch from cold it cuts the vacuum to the tap and allows it to open and thus the coolant to flow through the heater core. The tap is either on or off - no in between.
So based on what you have discovered it sounds like there could be a leak in the hose from the control knob to the heater tap.