Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine swap or conversion?

madute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm Ute
Hi guys,
I have posted another thread recently about all the issues I have had with my Alloytec, car is currently still parked up. So naturally I do not want to replace it with another alloytec.
I was looking at my other options and like the thought of swapping in a L67, but I have not been able to find much information about this conversion.
Some positives:
Cheaper than the alloytec even though I'll be buying the gearbox, ecu and loom.
less fuel consumption,
more torque
RELIABILITY

Another more expensive option would be to swap an ls1 in, but I do not want a v8.
Thanks.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If you're in aus, your only options are an alloytec or ls1 if you want to keep it legal. If you wanted an l67 you'd be better off selling it and buying another car.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
^^^What he said. Alloytecs are't that bad and in your case genuinely legal. But they're a A to B engine and nothing more. Service and look after them and you will have no worries. That said if I was going to be bothered changing the engine I certainly wouldn't be putting a 6 back in.

madute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm Ute
Being in WA id smash a v8 in there, the cops here don't know the difference between a petrol and a diesel let a lone a v6/v8

Thanks for all the replies.
I will be swapping in the alloytec I guess, changing my insurance policy and submitting paperwork to the dot is too much of a hassle, Im fine with the mechanical work though.

Might just swap in a second hand alloytec with warranty, sell it and buy a ss ute.

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Executive 5.7 Gen3/VE2 Omega Wagon
You know, I thought the same thing. I want a 6 litre in my VZ v6 and sleeper it up, but legally it's just not worth the hassle. Just save the headache and sell it and buy an 8 banger. When I have the cash, that's my plan.