Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake upgrade

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Executive 5.7 Gen3/VE2 Omega Wagon
I want to eventually up grade my brakes on my VZ v6 intercepter and I would like to go big say 330mm up front. One problem, I have 16 inch chasers that I like because they are tuff and tires are cheap for frying. Will I need 17 inch? Or can I get rotors and pads that go with the stock 296mm that will stop time as well?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I want to eventually up grade my brakes on my VZ v6 intercepter and I would like to go big say 330mm up front. One problem, I have 16 inch chasers that I like because they are tuff and tires are cheap for frying. Will I need 17 inch? Or can I get rotors and pads that go with the stock 296mm that will stop time as well?

Firstly, you won't have 16" chasers......they don't exist....Good chance you'll have 15X7 steel wheels....Secondly, yes, upgrade to a 17" wheel.....but don't go looking for chasers in that size, as they don't exist

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Actually the VZ Cop cars did come with 16" chasers, not all of them but most of them did and literly every single VE Cop car came with 16's unless they were the highway patrol on the 18s or 19's.

330mm will fit under some 16's, not alot but some, pretty sure they won't fit under chasers.

17 is the minimum for 330mm as a rule generally and 17" tyres are cheap these days, can get semi decent ones for $150 a tyre.

Some DBA T2's or T3's with some QFM Ar1ms will stop quite well for street use and bolt straight up as is.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Check the actual size of the rotors already fitted. SAPOL cars used for Patrol work all have optional factory fitted larger brakes (rotors).

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I must apologise to everyone, I have 15 inch!!!

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Is there any way you'd actually safely get VE steel wheels to fit onto a VZ given the VE alloys have to have the centers machined out?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Actually the VZ Cop cars did come with 16" chasers, not all of them but most of them did and literly every single VE Cop car came with 16's unless they were the highway patrol on the 18s or 19's.

All VZ cop cars had 15" steel rims...(used to deal with them, when they got smashed up)....VE cop cars came with 16" steel or alloy rims for general duties

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
All VZ cop cars had 15" steel rims...(used to deal with them, when they got smashed up)....VE cop cars came with 16" steel or alloy rims for general duties

Maybe in SA.

I was wrong partially, not all the VZ cop cars but all the VZ Ute Divvy vans/k9 Utes had the 16x7s factory in Victoria at least.

But either way he said he has 15s, so yea 330mm wont fit, look at the brakes i suggested above.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
#### your bickering!
OP 17" wheels will be safer for your suggested upgrade, what brake setup were you thinking of getting?

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was thinking DBA 4000 series or there abouts?