Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do I look for? About to buy 2005 SV6

ReaLzEdits

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S pack
As the title is stated above I'm about to go and check out a VZ SV6 05 model. I was wondering if there was anything I should keep an eye out for, like common problems and such. If you want to take a look at the car here's the ad on Gumtree HOLDEN VZ SV6 COMMODORE | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Salisbury Area - Brahma Lodge | 1085904512
From one of the pictures it looks like its bumper is a slightly different color compared to the rest of the car.... Possible crash?
Also how do I know if its got the timing chain problem? I heard it makes a ticking noise but that might be wrong.
P.S My dad bought his SV6 about 5-6 months ago from the same place, no problems that they mentioned and so far none have occurred so they might be alright.

Vegemite

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais
99% of the time there is a slight colour difference between the body and the bars as the bars are plastic. But that rear bar is a lot lighter than the rest of the car so it could be a potential accident.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Most important of all is to ascertain the service history. If there isn't one or it's incomplete, leave the vehicle alone and look for another.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Most important of all is to ascertain the service history. If there isn't one or it's incomplete, leave the vehicle alone and look for another.

This. The motors really need a good service history or you will run into issues real quick.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
From the photos looks like it's had a pretty hard life.

ReaLzEdits

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S pack
Yeah i'm not too worried about the exterior. If she still performs just as well then ill put some cash together and make her my own :)

Vegemite

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais
its a really cheap car considering the KM. If your happy with it get it =].

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Or buy my Quicksilver SV6? I need it gone because I got a Clubsport now.

Edit: just checked the ad out. Might as well go have a look and see how your gut feel. Mine has 178,XXXkm. That one has way less.

ReaLzEdits

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S pack
Or buy my Quicksilver SV6? I need it gone because I got a Clubsport now.

Edit: just checked the ad out. Might as well go have a look and see how your gut feel. Mine has 178,XXXkm. That one has way less.

Yeah the car was a bomb man. The engine sounded fine and all but it looked really rough inside and out. The bloke was really honest with me and said you probably have to spend like 2 grand to get her all good. But I don't have time for that at the moment. Ha I'm not even on my P's aswel yet :p I still have plenty of time to find a car but for the KM this was a pretty good bargain. Plus all these videos of people getting like 290 rwkw from a VZ SS with a cam+tune it's making me second guess getting a V6 :L