Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY/VZ difference other than engine

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi Guys.

The time has come to probably buy a VY or VZ Wagon. I'm wondering does the VZ have any changes other than the VY other than the motor, but mainly interested on peoples experiences who have owned both. I have heard the VZ V6 is unreliable compared to the Ecotec.

It will be a work car, so reliability is important. I have never driven one and apparently low down power is lacking.

On the Unnoficial commodore page I read the upgrades are :

* Electronic Stability Program, Electronic Brake Distribution, Brake Assist, Corner Brake Control, upgraded ABS and Traction Control

Is there any other differences than this?

More or less apart from those things and the engine it appears to be the same car, I'm not interested in stuff like cosmetics but more so mechanical, suspension, cabin, electronics, things that affect how the car handles, drives, NVH etc.

Looking at getting a Berlina.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi Z2TT, I have owned both the VY and VZ. Whilst I was happy with my VY (a write off crash meant I had to replace it) I prefer my VZ although a lot of other people on this forum would disagree. I find the handling much better on the VZ than the VY, I'm not sure why, some of the more mechanically minded people on this forum might be able to tell you what changes were made between the VY and the VZ to improve the handling etc.

Nonetheless I feel much safer driving the VZ than the VY. I did have a problem with an injector on the VZ but that was fixed for around $200. The biggest problem I had on the VY was that the air compressor went, otherwise it was relatively trouble free for around 5 years.

malakye84

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 sv6
I have a vz sv6 and have driven a vt vx and a vy and say that vz handles much better and goes much better. Not sure on a berlina but the sv6 has fe2 sports suspension and handles really well. Also has a load of get up and go. I have the 190 high output and again not sure if you can get this in a belina. I have 235k on the clock now and have had really no major troubles. Replaced a water pump that went and also had to replace radiator although this was due to a bolt not being tight enough on water pump and had slow leak and it ran low on coolant on a long trip and got a pin hole in a radiator Seam. Let's just say I don't go to that mechanic any more.other than that I've had years of trouble free driving and I'm not exactly the slowest driver around.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
The VZ , has a better suspension setup in that the front end is more compliant , and corners better .If I may, can I suggest the Calais or SV6, you'll get the more powerful engine , by 20 KW , plus the SV6 has the FE2 suspension , and the 5 speed auto ( as does the Calais ) or 6 speed manual .

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Just make sure the services are up to date. Missed services can kill motors due to sludge in the Alloytec.

timmy201

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
As far as I can tell the wagons never got the upgraded ESP system the sedans did.

The Acclaim and Berlina have the side airbags & traction control and the Executive/SVZ/Lumina/Equipe don't (but were an option on some apparently).

The Acclaim and Berlina have the same tune engine too, the only real differences are the alloys, climate control, interior, front bumper and 6 stacker.

I have a 2006 Acclaim Wagon and it has been great so far. We had a minor overheating problem due to an old broken radiator cap, but it's been fine since then. I do mostly highway driving, an average speed around 65kph on a tank and I'm getting 9.5L/100km pretty consistently. (currently it's done around 620km and it's saying over 100km to empty).

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Much nicer/tougher bonnett on the VYII.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
I'd go the VY personally, or an LS1 VZ. Going off cost of fixing things when they break etc.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
What's the difference between the front suspension on the VZ compared to the VY, commodore665 you mentioned its more compliant?
Is it bushes, or struts?

I do know sometimes some cars are fitted with aftermarket struts that always are more harsh than the originals that are so nice to drive on.

Any other body differences people know of, interior electrics? Seems mostly cosmetic.

Thanks.