Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Powertrain check

just checking

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Can someone please tell me what the costs are :

coil $.....
Ecu $........
Spark $......

or if anyone else has come up with any other issues. My engine shakes and check powertrain on dash has come up.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi just checking. I would recommend that you get a scan for error codes. I had the exact same symptoms that you are describing and it turned out to be one of the injectors. Fortunately it was only a $210 fix. (I also had the "Check powertrain" warning" come up).

BOA32

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS 3.8L V6 EXECUTIVE - 4SPEED AUTO - SEDAN
was it blowing white smoke out of the exhaust?
What did you come up with bud? did you fix it? my VZ 06 3.6L is misfiring cylinders 1 - 3 - 5 and blowing white smoke from exhaust, there's also a liquid slowly dripping from exhaust which smells of unburnt fuel. Iv got a strong smell of exhaust gases and unburnt fuel inside of car as well. hardly even runs its shaking and carrying on that much, its definately un-drivable..... any help would be great please man

BOA32

Reaction score
Members Ride
was it blowing white smoke out of the exhaust?
What did you come up with bud? did you fix it? my VZ 06 3.6L is misfiring cylinders 1 - 3 - 5 and blowing white smoke from exhaust, there's also a liquid slowly dripping from exhaust which smells of unburnt fuel. Iv got a strong smell of exhaust gases and unburnt fuel inside of car as well. hardly even runs its shaking and carrying on that much, its definately un-drivable..... any help would be great please man

steveyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ V6 wagon
I had similar problems recently, replaced the coils and it's come good. It was $590 for the coils. I got ripped off, but my dad took it somewhere and had it done before I gave them the OK. I had no error codes showing up on the tech 2 but check Powertrain came up and my engine shook real bad, had **** all power. Only lasted a minute or two at a time.

BOA32

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mine is showing codes saying cylinder 1-3-5 misfire, and another 2codes that have something to do with o2 sensors but I've replaced o2 sensors and still showing all codes. Isn't it odd for all 3 coils to go at the one time but? Thinking more along the lines of blocked cat converter or bad vacuum leak somewhere! Wat do u reckon???

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6ltr V6 Alloytec
G'day
I had a problem with misfiring and it turn out to be cracks in the black plastic tube that goes to either side of the intake manifold. For shits and giggles i wrapped duct tape around the cracks. Which made the misfire stop.. You might have the same problem i had which is a easy fix, instead of paying for new coils...

With the check Powertrain warning problem. Try tightening up the exhaust flanges you may have a leak before the o2 senors.. Also check the fuse/relay box under the hood and make sure all the fuse's are the correct amp. I did this to my VZ V6 Alloytec and the Check Powertrain light has gone and not come back on. And still using the stock o2 senors with 360,000kms on the clock..

Hope this helps you guy's out . :) :) :) Alloytec v6.jpg

Last edited:

BOA32

Reaction score
Members Ride
G'day
I had a problem with misfiring and it turn out to be cracks in the black plastic tube that goes to either side of the intake manifold. For shits and giggles i wrapped duct tape around the cracks. Which made the misfire stop.. You might have the same problem i had which is a easy fix, instead of paying for new coils...

With the check Powertrain warning problem. Try tightening up the exhaust flanges you may have a leak before the o2 senors.. Also check the fuse/relay box under the hood and make sure all the fuse's are the correct amp. I did this to my VZ V6 Alloytec and the Check Powertrain light has gone and not come back on. And still using the stock o2 senors with 360,000kms on the clock..

Hope this helps you guy's out . :) :) :)

Do you know what these hoses are called "oldmate with dirty hands" lol

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Can someone please tell me what the costs are :

coil $.....
Ecu $........
Spark $......

or if anyone else has come up with any other issues. My engine shakes and check powertrain on dash has come up.

Don't go poking around in the dark. It "could" be anything.
Get it plugged in to a computer/scan tool and see what the actual fault is. The cars tell us what is wrong or at least guide us to what is wrong.

Plugs $10-15ea depending on quality and retailer
Coils $50-70 ea ( I got a good set for $170 from Mace engineering)
ECU/ECM (what ever we all know what you mean) Can get pricey but contact wreckers etc and see if @Tassl from Envyous customs can guide you from there. ~$150 to get it reprogrammed to suit the vehicle.

Of course all of that may not work and you blow a heap of coin for no reason.

So get it plugged in and see what faults come up.