Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 Starter motor Click

])AVO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT, VG
I have a VZ V6 here that was running fine then today wife when to start it and all she got was a single Click from the starter motor,
Ok thought it must be a flat battery so tried to jump start it but still the same just a single click from the starter motor.

Battery terminal are all clean,
Battery is showing over 12v on the meter.

Do you think its just a dead starter? or are there other common problems with this model (only had the car for a week)

Anyone had this problem before?

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
my WK Statesman (V8) was doing something similar a little while back. I would turn the key but get a single click and then nothing. I would try to start the car again and it would start second go. I changed the starter relay in the engine bay fuse box and that fixed the problem for me. I hope it's a simple fix for you too.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
])AVO;2781296 said:
I have a VZ V6 here that was running fine then today wife when to start it and all she got was a single Click from the starter motor,
Ok thought it must be a flat battery so tried to jump start it but still the same just a single click from the starter motor.

Battery terminal are all clean,
Battery is showing over 12v on the meter.

Do you think its just a dead starter? or are there other common problems with this model (only had the car for a week)

Anyone had this problem before?

either battery failed (collapsed cell-even trying to jumpstart it will do the same, dead battery pulling both down) but more than likely starter has failed/failing, they do fail, did sons 3 months ago (265000 on the clock) a good charged battery should show 12.5v, when you get car running check your charging volts at the battery, relay also possible,

])AVO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT, VG
thanks for the replys,

Update on whats happening now,
I replaced the starter replay no change, so I remove re-moved the earth lead on the battery the flat part that is held on by a wingnut because I noticed that someone put a round terminal O= on under it, there was a bit of corrosion under there so I cleaned it up and also done the positive one and car started first go.

Then when down the shops and went to start it "Click" Arrrr!! tried a few times then it stated, got it home stop start stop start didn't do it again,

So I'll go over it again

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
])AVO;2781381 said:
thanks for the replys,

Update on whats happening now,
I replaced the starter replay no change, so I remove re-moved the earth lead on the battery the flat part that is held on by a wingnut because I noticed that someone put a round terminal O= on under it, there was a bit of corrosion under there so I cleaned it up and also done the positive one and car started first go.

Then when down the shops and went to start it "Click" Arrrr!! tried a few times then it stated, got it home stop start stop start didn't do it again,

So I'll go over it again

I have had the same problem with 2 VZ's and each time I tapped the Starter with a Hammer and got it going.

The Brushes in the Starter get caught in the housings and don't get complete contact with the Armature, so by tapping the Starter it jars the Brushes into place.

But you may still have to replace the Starter, I used one from the Wreckers for $44, then cleaned up the one I removed and kept it as a Spare.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
after a few years the solenoid gets wear in it and mix that with some heat from the exhaust manifold and the solenoid jams....I put up with it for 6 months and even pulled it apart but it returned again....bought a new starter ...never happenned again

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
My policy is to replace both positive and negative battery terminals when I replace a battery. About $25 each clamp from memory.

No problems with corrosion etc. over the long term. Factory Holden batteries last nearly 3 years for a 2 year warranty.

Use Korrode Cure on the terminals - great in north Queensland during the wet season etc. for controlling corrosion etc.

])AVO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT, VG
update,

Has not done it again since cleaning the terminals

deanos70

Reaction score
Is the starter relay just an standard 4 or 5 pin relay ? where did you guys get yours from ?
cheers