Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz ss sump plug

kyriacandro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
So i go to do an oil change today and im under the car i go to take the sump plug off and it's so tight I've tried everything grip sockets vice grips chisel and hammer nothing will budge it why did the last person that serviced this do it so tight. What can i do to get it off. I've had a 4 hour fight with this sump plug

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
I literally just had the same thing, in the end I took it to the mechanic and he said he had a special chizel he uses and used vice grips with it. Only cost me $75 and he serviced my car so I think you're better off paying someone to do it when it's stuffed.

I used vice grips, non-slip sockets, filing down edges to make it more square for sockets and vise grips to grip, smashing sockets on (but since K-frame is in the way it's too hard to do).

Next option (if you're going to DIY), i'd weld a nut onto the plug and undo it with a HEX-head socket (not multi tooth) so it doesn't risk slipping and being in the same situation.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Big pipe wrench lol hit the handle with a hammer to shock it a bit

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
I know the sump plug has a torque setting of 18 ft lb (ol school figures),13.5 Nm, but I have never ever torqued a friggin sump plug, only ever tightened it till it seats and then nip it up.
Never, ever had any issues with leakage or cracking it when oil change comes around, always use a RING spanner, never an open ender or a bloody shifter and always give it a sharp tap with a wood mallet to crack it, never swing on it.
Its in an aluminium sump! what happens when aluminium heats up, it expands ten fold, its only a sump plug, its not holding a bloody wheel on.
I know people are going to say ( yeh but if it drops out blah,blah, blah my engine is ruined ) if its seated and nipped up, its going nowhere, I,ve seen people tighten it then sit down and put their bloody foot on it and give it a friggin shove as if their tightening up a bloody ball joint :banstick: No wonder the bastard wont come back out again.
If you are having trouble undoing it, wait until the oil in the sump has cooled, which usually means overnight, first thing in the morning try loosening it when its all cooled back down and everything has contracted, then if it does loosen, then you can NIP it back up and go for that drive to get the oil hot so you can drop it and change it, :blah blah:
CHEERS all, CONROD

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Get some stilsons onto it.

kyriacandro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
The bolt is that damaged now it's not funny. I'm taking it to the mechanic at 2 so he can loosen it for me i really have no other option just a shame the last guy put it on so friggin tight. I never had time to service my cars before now i got the time the last mechanic put the sump plug on to tight lol. Like i said it's stuffed now with a hoist they will be able to get to it better and sort something out

kyriacandro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Mechanic couldn't even get it off lol and he said stilsons might snap the head off. Tried a nut splitter but won't grab due to the bolt being so damaged